🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Popular Project is needed?
Page options
amanmohindra
Community Member

Popular Project is needed?

Hello, everybody.
I have an interesting question about "Popular Project New Feature".
A few days ago, I received message from Upwork about Popular Project.
And I was very excited and set up them.

And I guess the problem is there.

After that, I sent so many proposals, almost 60 projects.
But what is the result?

Nobody responded.
Before, I received at least 1 response per 6~7 proposals.
So, I started to research another freelancer's profile.

I found that so many developers who did not set up Popular Project have a current job.

Could you explain this problem?

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Aman:

I have no way of knowing if the presence of "popular projects" on your profile is causing you to NOT get hired when you apply to jobs.

But if you are asking if "popular projects" are "needed"?

...If you are asking if this is "required"?

The answer is NO.

You can delete ALL "popular projects" from your profile page.

That is what I did.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
prestonhunter
Community Member

Aman:

I have no way of knowing if the presence of "popular projects" on your profile is causing you to NOT get hired when you apply to jobs.

But if you are asking if "popular projects" are "needed"?

...If you are asking if this is "required"?

The answer is NO.

You can delete ALL "popular projects" from your profile page.

That is what I did.

petra_r
Community Member

Aman M wrote:

But what is the result?

Nobody responded.

I found that so many developers who did not set up Popular Project have a current job.

I don't believe you can actually see the popular projects on any profiles (yet?)

I can not see them on your profile either from my freelancer, nor from my client account, and when I set them up on my own profile, I can not see them either when looking at my profile as a client.

It is most unlikely that your Popular Projects have anything to do with you not getting a response, it is more likely that it's just the usual ebb and flow.

jithintv
Community Member

Wow...now that's strange...because I'm able to see what you are not...

Hi, Jithin

What do you mean?

I mean I'm able to see popular projects section when I ' view ' my profile
and even I spotted it in another freelancers profile too...
dzadza
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Aman M wrote:

But what is the result?

Nobody responded.

I don't believe you can actually see the popular projects on any profiles (yet?)

I can not see them on your profile either from my freelancer, nor from my client account, and when I set them up on my own profile, I can not see them either when looking at my profile as a client.

It is most unlikely that your Popular Projects have anything to do with you not getting a response, it is more likely that it's just the usual ebb and flow.

I believe they are visible - but we just got rid of them, lol - that's why you can't see them. I had those on my profile -  fantastic default offers like - building a website for $250.  The moment  I saw it, I freaked out (someone  may actually take  that  seriously) and I deleted all 3 popular  projects from my profile, so they're no longer visible. 
I do, however, see them when I access my profile - "Showcase custom projects"  - right below the overview...

Hi, Sanja

You are right.

Petra R wrote:

Aman M wrote:

But what is the result?

Nobody responded.

I was interviewed by UW last week about the PP program and one of my complaints was that I could not determine when/whether or not my PPs were 'live' and visible to clients yet. I was assured that yes, clients can see them. I can now see mine from my client account. (Another complaint was having been shanghai'd into the program against my will.)

Here's another question: If someone doesn't feel PPs are useful on their profile right now and deletes them all, can they resurrect them later, if they think of a way to use them?

Hi, Phyllis

I think "Yes".

You can resurrect them later if you need.

Hi Phyllis,

For now, you can easily delete all the projects and later, if you want to use Popular Projects again, all you have to do is add the projects and the section will start displaying. After removing all the projects, the section should look something like this. Please note that the empty section will not be displayed to the clients.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
pushingpixels
Community Member

Honestly, I was wondering that as well. I added a few "Popular Projects" to my profile a month or so ago and have not been getting hardly any project invites. As a top-rated freelancer, I used to get at least one invite a day. I haven't gotten any in over a week (that aren't for actual jobs). For one of my Popular jobs, I put a Custom Website Project at what I start at the rate I use for local clients. I'm thinking it may scare Upwork Clients away. I'm probably going to delete them and see if it helps. 

svapnilk
Community Member

Hi,

I've set up the new feature; "Popular Projects" on my profile. So far, I never received a single message or enquiry thought it.

So just curious, is it working for any other freelancers?

Just want to discuss and know how effective the Popular Projects are?

Thoughts please.

I guess it works only for template-based or repetitive projects.

For specializations with individually-oriented projects it's completely useless.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Did you get any enquiries or anyone bought any of your projects? I want to know if they are actually working for anyone.

I added a few projects when originally prompted to try out this new feature.  When clients replied to my proposal, they never referred to my prices already listed on my profile.  I found it to be a waste and removed it.  

I'm having the same experience.

I haven't received any enquiries either, but I'm not surprised. Since there's only room for one or two short sentences, with no room for details about deliverables and no image uploading capabilities, there's no real marketing opportunity there.

I think if they provide space for more text and images, it will lengthen the profile size. Which again will not be scolled up by users. 

As others have stated, to my knowledge I haven't received any inquiries via Popular Project. It's a bit of a disconnect with how the platform works and maybe that's the problem?

I would have to see how it appears on the client side to see why it may not be working.

Apparently "Popular Projects" is still a work in progress.

Nobody here appears eager to be commodified so neatly.

Preston H wrote:

I think it's a terrible feature and I do not understand how it fits into the idea of having higher quality clients or freelancers since, in my opinion, it promotes low paid jobs and doesn't add anything to the conversation between these two parties.

I like it. I'd like the option to add more.

As yet it hasn't led to a project, but I'm going to change it every so often until I get it right. I'm not sure how it promotes low paid jobs - admittedly, a lot of people charge more than I do, but I'm not at the really low end and can think of dozens of ways I could use this. 

But I don't especially want anything that adds to conversation. In fact, I'm a fan of anything that can potentially reduce chit-chat. 

Yes, it's a different approach and may take a while to catch on (like the direct hire thing), but given that different people like to approach hiring in different ways, the more options, the better.  It doesn't make me feel any more commodified than when I've written magazine commissioned articles.

Valerio S wrote:

Preston H wrote:

I think it's a terrible feature and I do not understand how it fits into the idea of having higher quality clients or freelancers since, in my opinion, it promotes low paid jobs and doesn't add anything to the conversation between these two parties.

How does it promote "low paid jobs"? You set your price.

Tiffany S wrote:

How does it promote "low paid jobs"? You set your price.

Simply because it's based on the premises that the same kind of work has the same value on different occasions. I'm not selling a physical product, I'm selling a service and its value varies according to a multitude of factors that are different for every client and every project.

I already set my hourly price, why do I need a catalog?  To put a price tag on any of my services is influencing any future negotiation with a potential client, why would I want that? 

Looking at the announcement thread, I understand I'm a minority and I'm probably  wrong, but at the moment I really struggle to see the added value of this feature.

uwimbaba
Community Member

The new section "Popular projects" what is it for really? Ever since I set prices for the suggested popular projects, I don't receive invitations to interviews. Before that I used to receive a couple every week and I was wondering did I set prices high on the section, do clients use it to send invitations, what is happening. 

Second question, if you decline many invitations, does upwork block you from receiving more? Please help

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Florence,

Thank you for the feedback, I'll be sure to share it with our team.  Please do check this announcement thread with more information and discussions regarding this new feature on Upwork! 

Please note that if you decline invites we won't block future invites.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
uwimbaba
Community Member

Thank you!

1st question: I didn't try it but there are extensive discussions and experiences about that here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Upwork-turning-my-profile-page-into-a-grocery-store/m-p/...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Interested-in-trying-out-a-new-beta-feature-on-Upwork/...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/How-effective-are-Popular-Projects/m-p/649451

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/quot-Show-popular-projects-on-my-profile-quot/m-p/608394

I think in general it doesn't work because it's based on canned formats. Since clients' needs are different from one another it's impossible to pack solutions this way. I mean we don't sell candies, pills, tiles.

2nd question: Nope. Upwork don't block you. You are not forced to accept invitations that don't fit you. Invitations are less for everyone since Upwork limited free clients to send them. They can send a couple but not a lot unless they pay extra. Besides, remember that scammers usually target newbies and send invitations to them. You're not really a newbie anymore, so that may as well be the reason.

Thank you Sergio!

irieislandgirl
Community Member

Hi Peeps!

In the Popular Projects section on my profile, for the "prices ranges," am I to enter rates for weekly or monthly amounts?

Hi Melinda,

I have merged your post with the thread that we have dedicated to this test. We recommend showcasing projects that you repeatedly do for clients. These can be small or big projects and you can add as many details in the description as you want, including how milestones should be set up. Once the client clicks ‘Request a Quote’, they will have the option to add more details of their own so you can provide a better quote for their particular request.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members