🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Popular with clients (!!?!)
Page options
luce-neidert
Community Member

Popular with clients (!!?!)

So, I was searching for my profile to see whether I was still on fire. No, sir, now I'm "Popular with clients".

Should I feel flattered? Should I laugh? Who here has deserved "Unpopular with clients"? What on earth does "being popular" mean? Not to mention that last JSS day, I went from 100% to 96%....

Maybe I'm popular because (according to the profile) I was recently invited 13 times. Now, my question is, what does Upwork understand by recently? In the last 6 months, maybe? Besides, being invited isn't such a useful criteria, as we all know most of the invitations are not that interesting.

Could someone give me a rational explanation of this new feature?

Popular with clients.jpg

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm sure it's something to do with how many times you get invited - but can't work out if it is weekly. I have set my own profile to private so I couldn't be bothered to search me. I think it goes: Christmas Card stars >rocket >flames. Apart from the kindergarten mindset behind this, I think the symbolism is sinister:  Aim for the stars; go up in the rocket; come crashing down in flames.

Anybody old enough to remember the NASA Challenger disaster will feel as uncomfortable as I do ... 

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
pudingstudio
Community Member

Luce N wrote:

So, I was searching for my profile to see whether I was still on fire. No, sir, now I'm "Popular with clients".

Should I feel flattered? Should I laugh? Who here has deserved "Unpopular with clients"? What on earth does "being popular" mean? Not to mention that last JSS day, I went from 100% to 96%....

Maybe I'm popular because (according to the profile) I was recently invited 13 times. Now, my question is, what does Upwork understand by recently? In the last 6 months, maybe? Besides, being invited isn't such a useful criteria, as we all know most of the invitations are not that interesting.

Could someone give me a rational explanation of this new feature?

Popular with clients.jpg

We are yet to see a freelancers who praises this feature?

From implementation, there were couple of threads, have not noticed that anyone likes it.

Most reactions were similar to yours.

Mine is - Yup, you should laugh. It is laughable because (as you've pointed out) this feature fails to make ANY sense.

I'm neutral towards this feature. I don't know what kind of effect it has, I don't have any data to judge if it makes a difference or not. If it has a positive impact, then it has my full support. If it has the opposite effect, I'm against. Everything else, I don't care. I don't care how it looks. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

René, I'm neutral too, but I'm really surprised by the introduction of this feature. I'm sure most clients don't notice it, just as they don't notice JSSs.

We, translators, tend to analyse words. I was first introduced to the word "popular" in contexts linked to school. So to me, the word is not a very positive description of a person. It makes me think of: "Little René is not popular with his peers as he won't let them use his homework to cheat". "Little Luce is becoming extremely popular, she's bringing sweets to school everyday and sharing them with amazing generosity."

To sum it up, the term doesn't sound very professional to me.

Antun M wrote:

We are yet to see a freelancers who praises this feature?

From implementation, there were couple of threads, have not noticed that anyone likes it.

Most reactions were similar to yours.

Mine is - Yup, you should laugh. It is laughable because (as you've pointed out) this feature fails to make ANY sense.

I agree with you, it's something to laugh at. However, Upwork would not have the money to keep trying such new features if we, freelancers, weren't working hard to bring in some money - and sharing the money with Upwork. So we should have our say.

Guys, this feature is comical ... only in it's crass stupidity.

What it is in highly unprofessional, utterly insulting to both buyers and FLers; lacking in a scintilla of marketing sense ... and did I say stupid ...

Wendy C wrote:

What it is in highly unprofessional, utterly insulting to both buyers and FLers; lacking in a scintilla of marketing sense ... and did I say stupid ...

So what are the different levels, and what do they mean (stars, flames, popularity etc.)? Does anyone know?

Christine A wrote:

Wendy C wrote:

So what are the different levels, and what do they mean (stars, flames, popularity etc.)? Does anyone know?

That's the real problem. We are told what Top Rated implies, we sort of are told what the algorithm uses for JSS calculation, but this type of features are total mysteries.

For all we know, someone might be paid to just put a stamp with a rocket or with a star on the profiles!

Wow I didn't know this existed!  Obviously it has NO affect on the # of jobs I receive.  

BTW I'm "fire" and "likely to be hired soon".  Recently invited 46 times.

Yeah, I noticed recently this feature thanks to reading the forum. Although it may look cool, I am not at all impressed because after so many invitation the result is .... 0 dollars. And, seriously, I hope once the holiday season is over, there are more serious clients otherwise all that rockets and flames will sybolize my going out of this platform...

From what I have been watching it goes like this:

• Rocket = Getting noticed
  • Weeping star (or Xmas star) = Popular with clients
  • Fire sale = Likely to be hired soon

I am not sure if there are more but that is the corresponding tags. They depend on how many invitations you received in the last 90 days. I wonder why they call that "recently."

Those icons are childish and their meaning cloudy to say the least. Long talk about that in other threads. As for the wording, inappropiate and contradictory. Receiving 200 invitations doesn't mean you are likely to be hired soon. Those 200 might as well be invitations that don't match your skills. And if you are getting noticed does that mean that until now you were invisible and irrelevant because you had not received invitations?

Sergio S wrote:

From what I have been watching it goes like this:

• Rocket = Getting noticed
  • Weeping star (or Xmas star) = Popular with clients
  • Fire sale = Likely to be hired soon

I am not sure if there are more but that is the corresponding tags. They depend on how many invitations you received in the last 90 days. I wonder why they call that "recently."

Those icons are childish and their meaning cloudy to say the least. Long talk about that in other threads. As for the wording, inappropiate and contradictory. Receiving 200 invitations doesn't mean you are likely to be hired soon. Those 200 might as well be invitations that don't match your skills. And if you are getting noticed does that mean that until now you were invisible and irrelevant because you had not received invitations?

Sergio, you seem so knowledgeable. Are you the program of the Upwork algorithm, by any chance? Smiley Happy

Luce N wrote:

Sergio, you seem so knowledgeable. Are you the program of the Upwork algorithm, by any chance? Smiley Happy

Not at all. Petra is the knowledgeable one here, who discovered the 90 days thing.

Nestor V wrote:

Yeah, I noticed recently this feature thanks to reading the forum. Although it may look cool, I am not at all impressed because after so many invitation the result is .... 0 dollars. And, seriously, I hope once the holiday season is over, there are more serious clients otherwise all that rockets and flames will sybolize my going out of this platform...

Nestor, being popular hasn't helped much.... I'm afraid money wise most of the jobs I'm getting are not worth even mentioning.

I'm waiting for the the end of the holiday season too.

Robin H wrote:

Wow I didn't know this existed!  Obviously it has NO affect on the # of jobs I receive.  

BTW I'm "fire" and "likely to be hired soon".  Recently invited 46 times.

Well,  that's a record number of invitations. Were they any good?

Just received an invite today - $15, "entry" job for a project I would charge $200-$300.  

Nope, not what I call quality offers. 

Robin, don't forget they are trying to get you to work for cheap, but you can always tell them what they should expect to pay. Sometimes, it works.

Luce N wrote:

Robin, don't forget they are trying to get you to work for cheap, but you can always tell them what they should expect to pay. Sometimes, it works.

Yep, but not when the client is paying $10 per project.  

I think it's determined by the number of invitations you got in the past 90 days stupid blue rocket - up to 10 invitations (I think) stupid yellow star - 10-25 (I think) stupid orange flame - 25 and more note -these numbers are just my observation - because I started with the rocket and 8 invitations

Hi, I'm just curious to know that how people get (Star, rocket, fire) "popular with clients" on their profile?

Are there any specific criteria to achieve that?

petra_r
Community Member

Pooja J wrote:

Hi, I'm just curious to know that how people get (Star, rocket, fire) "popular with clients" on their profile?

Are there any specific criteria to achieve that?

It's utterly meaningless marketing drivel. Don't worry about it. The criterium is being invited.

Screenshot at Mar 29 18-30-49.png

dbb644c2
Community Member

Thanks, Petra. You're so knowledgeable. 🙂

dbb644c2
Community Member

But this "Getting noticed" is not showing on my profile.

petra_r
Community Member

Pooja J wrote:

But this "Getting noticed" is not showing on my profile.

It is if it is seen through client searches. You are not a client so it does not show.

lysis10
Community Member

Still not part of the cool kids club over here. That's ok. Most freelancers and I travel to the beat of a different drum.

Would someone pleaze explain to U that a 'Fire Sale"  icon bloody well means  ...

g-o-i-n-g  o-u-t  o-f   b-u-s-i-n-e-s-s

And isn't something you want to buy.

Wendy C wrote:

Would someone pleaze explain to U that a 'Fire Sale"  icon bloody well means  ...

g-o-i-n-g  o-u-t  o-f   b-u-s-i-n-e-s-s

And isn't something you want to buy.

How about combining all three graphics - the stars could be sparks that are coming out of the rocket, which is going down in flames.

Jennifer M wrote:

Still not part of the cool kids club over here. That's ok. Most freelancers and I travel to the beat of a different drum.

There's going to be a 'Cool Kids Club' graphic on your profile in the morning.

Jennifer M wrote:

I don't want to rain on your parade but you were given a rocket already. It doesn't appear in your profile per se. You will see it only if you get to your profile through a search.

Sergio S wrote:

I don't want to rain on your parade but you were given a rocket already. It doesn't appear in your profile per se. You will see it only if you get to your profile through a search.

Well it's official then. Rockets are cool. You fire emoji people can't sit with us. 

What happens to those FL's that arn't doing so well, is there a graphic of Oliver Twist with a begging bowl?

Richard S wrote:

What happens to those FL's that arn't doing so well, is there a graphic of Oliver Twist with a begging bowl?

They need a sad emoji. Like "plz I need job." Something like this.

Image result for sad dog eyes cartoon

If only I could give this more than 1 kudos.... 🙂

Jennifer M wrote:

Richard S wrote:

They need a sad emoji. Like "plz I need job." Something like this.

Image result for sad dog eyes cartoon

No way - that would be an unfair advantage. I'd rather hire the cute puppy freelancer than the freelancer who's on fire.

I'm sure it's something to do with how many times you get invited - but can't work out if it is weekly. I have set my own profile to private so I couldn't be bothered to search me. I think it goes: Christmas Card stars >rocket >flames. Apart from the kindergarten mindset behind this, I think the symbolism is sinister:  Aim for the stars; go up in the rocket; come crashing down in flames.

Anybody old enough to remember the NASA Challenger disaster will feel as uncomfortable as I do ... 

Nichola, I'm afraid you're burning. Invited 49 times!

How does being in hell feel? Hot?

Luce N wrote:

Nichola, I'm afraid you're burning. Invited 49 times!

How does being in hell feel? Hot?

Luce, I may have been invited 49 times, but I think one job out of that 49 (actually last week it was 60 something) has materialized, for which I am grateful. The rest were - well - confined to the fire.

And so that must be it - you have to fall below a certain number of invites to escape the flames. I was on fire at 6O something, and now that my views and invites have practically flatlined, I shall soon be looking down on you all from the lowly (but heavenly) stars.

😉  

Nichola L wrote:

Luce, I may have been invited 49 times, but I think one job out of that 49 (actually last week it was 60 something) has materialized, for which I am grateful. The rest were - well - confined to the fire.

And so that must be it - you have to fall below a certain number of invites to escape the flames. I was on fire at 6O something, and now that my views and invites have practically flatlined, I shall soon be looking down on you all from the lowly (but heavenly) stars. 😉  

Nichola, you're welcome to join me and all us humble little popular stars.

Very strangely, I've received two invitations to translate from German to French in the same day. My popularity is blinding clients, pretty soon I'll be asked to translate Norwegian into Russian.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths