🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Portfolio Updates
Page options
jimmy-johns
Community Member

Portfolio Updates

Been updating my profile a bit today and kept having a consistent problem with the functions of updating and changing cover images of existing portfolios. 

I have several portfolios on my profile and have been sprucing them up and choosing different cover images and when I change the cover photo and get to the point of using the "Publish" button it fails with the message "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later." Trying again later doesn't change anything and it also then corrupts the old cover image (ie when I go out to view my portfolio again from my profile that cover image I was trying to change from is now just a broken picture link. 

Even if I choose to delete the old cover picture the system then just applies the "cover image" tag to the next picture in line and if I change that again it loops into not Publishing and corrupting the photo. 

14 REPLIES 14
JoanneP

Hi James Dean,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via ticket. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne - I'm having a similar issue... but my edit window doesn't even pop up!

Please help!

Hi Stephen,

A freelancer won't be able to add a new portfolio item or edit an existing one without adding a Specialized Profile because we are encouraging freelancers to create Specialized profiles. Specialized profiles allow freelancers to better describe the work they do and showcase their skills, portfolio items and previous work experience in a format that helps clients find the best freelancers for their specific projects.

Could you please try adding a Specialized Profile and let us know if this issue persist afterwards. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
raina5
Community Member

Hello, I am having the same problem as the OP, but as I read down the thread, it sounds like I have to create a specialized profile? I am not sure how to do this, or what will happen to all my client feedbacks and existing reputation and portfolio items....This is worrying, I like my profile as it is. So, to make sure I am clear, I can't edit or update my portfolio on my existing profile - is that right?  Also, i only do one kind of work (graphic design), so don't really see the point of having more than one profile...?  Thanks ~

Hi Kate,

The specialized profile feature allows you to tailor your unique skills to your audience on Upwork and create variations of your profile that showcase your experience within specific categories. The current information on your profile won't be removed. They are still available in your general profile. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks for your reply Bojan.

I've strayed from using a specialized profile because I do a variety of work & market myself in that way under one umbrella. I don't want to add any other subdivisions in my profile currently. I send clients the relevant work in each proposal & want them to see the totality of my reviews when they click on my profile. Especially while I'm building the account up in these semi-early stages.

I currently just want to edit the existing work in my portfolio on my general page. Is there not any way to do this as before? With a ticket and direct assistance or something (saw something about a ticket above... idk what that is)?

I'm happy UpWork created specialized profiles for those that want it. Personally, I'm just frustrated the option is currently disabled! I started to create a specialized profile as a draft in order to see if that changed any general page portfolio options, but it forces you to upload new projects to the specialized profile?

As a sidenote, I'm also wondering if it's posisble to delete a specialized profile after it is created.

Please help! Thanks for your time.

-Stephen

Stephen B wrote:

Thanks for your reply Bojan.

I've strayed from using a specialized profile because I do a variety of work & market myself in that way under one umbrella. I don't want to add any other subdivisions in my profile currently. I send clients the relevant work in each proposal & want them to see the totality of my reviews when they click on my profile. Especially while I'm building the account up in these semi-early stages.

I currently just want to edit the existing work in my portfolio on my general page. Is there not any way to do this as before? With a ticket and direct assistance or something (saw something about a ticket above... idk what that is)?

I'm happy UpWork created specialized profiles for those that want it. Personally, I'm just frustrated the option is currently disabled! I started to create a specialized profile as a draft in order to see if that changed any general page portfolio options, but it forces you to upload new projects to the specialized profile?

As a sidenote, I'm also wondering if it's posisble to delete a specialized profile after it is created.

Please help! Thanks for your time.

-Stephen

Upwork has decided that specialized profiles are wonderful, even for people who don't want them. No, you can't change your portfolio any more like before, and once you have created a specialized profile, you can't delete it. 

I'm not too happy with that either, but if you ever want to change or add to your portfolio ever again, you have to bite that sour apple, as we say in German.

Martina, that is some really sour stuff. 😞

As with a lot of people out there, my portfolio projects are the most important piece of the puzzle when it comes to getting hired. If I'm using this service 5 years from now, would I really want a potential client to see work that's no longer relevant? And now we can't even update this??

Makes no sense to me. I haven't scoured the forums too much for this issue yet, but I'll see what Bojan says and try to find a resolution. Maybe there's a way we can petition to show that this is a very important aspect of marketing to clients. I mean, we are able to update the text on our intoduction & still change work/education history I assume... why not images?

This is really frustrating. I agree, I do not want any alternate profiles, and I'm very  unhappy I can't update my exisitng portfolio items as usual.  I agree Stephen, I also am offered jobs BASED ON my portfolio items which potential clients look at closely.   Does this mean we start over without a JSS or client reviews?  And I don't know how to split up what I do....does anyone have suggestions on how they split up their profile?...

Hi Kate,

The specialized profile feature allows you to provide more detailed information about your skill and your experience within specific categories. The current information on your profile won't be removed. They are still available in your general profile, and clients can easily switch between your profiles to view the details you have provided on your other profile. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I just uploaded an image to my portfolio but it appears way too big for the image window. I want to crop it to fit or simply delete it altogether but can't figure out how to crop it or delete it. Then I read that some evil genius at UpWork has decided to prevent freelancers from being able to modify or delete anything from their portfolios. So is that it? I'm just stuck with this image on my portfolio whether I like it or not? Is that the deal? Really??? Seriously??? Is it some kind of an extended April Fool's Joke or something? I bet it was the same evil genius who decided to wreck the message system so we can't scroll back to previous messages when we're accessing UpWork via the Firefox browser. (Sheesh!) Anyway, is there some way I can delete images from my portfolio? Please say "Yes" and then tell me how. Thank you. 👍

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your message. I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

If I update my portfolio what will happen about portfolio ranking? It will be decrease?

Hi Muhammad,

Your portfolio is where you have the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. You should be able to edit it anytime to provide updated information in your portfolio section. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members