🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Portfolio under review after edit?
Page options
jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Portfolio under review after edit?

I made a couple of edits to my portfolio this afternoon only to find that one item is now under review.

I never changed the image, did not change the project that it is linked to, and only added some generic detail to the title of the picture.  Now it is under review?  After looking up some other threads on this topic, it appears that the review is 3-5 days and Upwork contacts the client when it is linked to a client project - is this correct? 

Why would Upwork flag this for review if the original image said "trailer" and I changed it to "trailer - steel fabrication and design"?  Will all of my edits end up under review whenever I make small changes like this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'd like to point out, as mentioned in this help article, that we’ll automatically email the client when a portfolio item has been linked, giving them three days to reject it before the item will be publicly linked to their history. This basically means that clients will be notified about portfolio items linked to a project you add to your profile, but we are not sure if they will be notified when the same portfolio item is updated. We’re looking into it now and we’ll come back with more info.

** Edited**

After checking with the team, this is by design. Each time you edit the Portfolio sample in question (regardless of the nature of the update), the client from the linked contract will be prompted to review it. 

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LuiggiR

Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'd like to point out, as mentioned in this help article, that we’ll automatically email the client when a portfolio item has been linked, giving them three days to reject it before the item will be publicly linked to their history. This basically means that clients will be notified about portfolio items linked to a project you add to your profile, but we are not sure if they will be notified when the same portfolio item is updated. We’re looking into it now and we’ll come back with more info.

** Edited**

After checking with the team, this is by design. Each time you edit the Portfolio sample in question (regardless of the nature of the update), the client from the linked contract will be prompted to review it. 

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Forgive me, but what's the rationale behind that? Should a freelancer really be made to wait up to 3 days for their portfolio to be up to date so that a client can approve them fixing a typo? Seems like overkill.

I just made a tiny edit to the text describing one of my Portfolio items (I changed the word "feedback" to "review"). This Portfolio item is linked to the corresponding Upwork job, so after already having to wait 3 days for my Client to approve the initial post, I found out I would have to wait another 3 days, since there's little to no chance the Client would respond in the allotted time.

I completely understand the rationale for requiring Client approval for such things in a general sense, but isn't it major overkill to require it for even the tiniest, most insignificant of text alterations? Am I right in concluding this would happen even if I changed one punctuation mark?

Part of my frustration here is that I'm about to undergo a Portfolio review to receive an Upwork Skill Certification, and I can't have my most important Portfolio item missing. I did end up removing the Portfolio item's linkage to the specific Upwork project to get around this, so I'm not looking for a short term solution; I just wanted to voice a concern about the mechanics of this process and to provide a thread for other Freelancers to do so. Thanks!

Shae, I believe "review" is a bit of a misnomer. The client is notified. It's an opt-out system, as you seem to know, so if the client fails to take action, the hold is lifted. It would be better to describe it as a hold than a review, but chances are there are legal reasons it both has to happen and has to be called a review. Whether those are sound legal reasons or not is open to question. The system as it works has three advantages:

• Upwork's legal obligations are covered (and then some?).
  • With Upwork acting as our approval-seekng agent, and their generous interpretation of implied consent, our obligations are also covered, with no effort on our part.
  • No human being, client included, ever has to actually "review" anything. Absent action from the client, it's all just wheels within wheels.

If we accept that there's an administrative delay that virtually always self-resolves within days, we really don't have to worry about the whys and wherefores.

landeroc
Community Member

Glad I found this thread. Is this a recent change by Upwork? The project I just modified had been approved already by my client. The only thing I did was add two words to a sentence. So now I have to wait 3-5 days? OMG.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths