🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Portfolio under review - client doesn't get e...
Page options
ivana_ivanovic
Community Member

Portfolio under review - client doesn't get e-mail

Hi there! I've analyzed many threads here on this topic, but still, there is something illogical in my opinion. 

The same day when I've uploaded my work linked to two Upwork clients, I've contacted them by messages and they were ready to approve the publishment at the same moment. It's 3rd day since I've initiated this, but clients didn't get any approval mail in those three days! 

Maybe they will get it today, but I am wondering why it should take so long to send the email to the clients. I believe that each hour is important for the freelancer to have the profile updated, as for example, I was applied meanwhile on more than 5 jobs, and it was important for me to have that material on my profile. 

So, even I found here the moderator's answer that the client has 3 days to decline the publishment, I am wondering why they didn't get any email on this for 3 days. 

I believe that this is the issue that should be reviewed by Upwork system and to be improved so that email can reach a client the same moment when freelancer tries to publish it. 

Sorry if I am something wrong ,) Thanks!

Ivana Ivanovic Petrovic
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ivana, 

I checked and can confirm that an email was sent out to your clients for the portfolio items that you are trying to add to your account. You can let your clients know that we have sent them an email about featuring work on your porfolio from their job. They can also let us know if they haven't received the emails, and we'll assist them further. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Clients can not approve the publication of portfolio items, only object to it. If they do not object, the portfolio item is published after 3 days.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ivana, 

I checked and can confirm that an email was sent out to your clients for the portfolio items that you are trying to add to your account. You can let your clients know that we have sent them an email about featuring work on your porfolio from their job. They can also let us know if they haven't received the emails, and we'll assist them further. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you all for the info!

The portfolios have become visible on the 4th day (or after 3 days) and this is ok. 

Still, I believe there is space for improving this in the matter of making the period shorter if clients are able to give permission or to object it before the expiration of 3 days. 

Best regards, Ivana

Ivana Ivanovic Petrovic

Hello, Ivana. I wasn't aware of this requirement. The instructions upon joining as a freelancer said not to share any work done for a client without the client's permission. Yesterday I asked two former clients whether I could showcase the work I did for them. They got back to me today, one declining because it was for a sensitive client covering a sensitive topic, but the other more than happy to let me display the work of which we are both very proud. So I immediately made the entry into my customized copywriting profile only to find out the entry is not visible.

To make matters worse, before I discovered this I mentioned in a proposal to a potential high-ticket client that this example of my work was available on my profile. Now I appear inept to the potential client and may not get the job. Upwork told me to get permisission first, and I did. They said nothing up front about a three day wait period.

It would be great if they could mention this in every new freelancers initial instructions. I understand the email concept if they let the client view the exact showcase package from the freelancer, but if it's just a notice without a link to the showcase, then why not ask the client at the end of the contract whether they are willing to allow the freelancer to showcase the work?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kenneth, 

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I would like to clarify that directly requesting a client's permission from displaying the final project/portfolio in your portfolio section, is different from adding it to your portfolio section, and linking it to a completed contract.

When you add a portfolio item on Upwork, you have an option of linking the portfolio to a past Upwork contract. Once you link the portfolio item, your client will automatically be notified in product about this 'request' and will have three days to approve or reject this request. If they do not respond within three days, the item will be publicly displayed on your Upwork profile. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 12.10.51 PM.png

For reference, you may read up on this help article for more information about adding portofolio items to your Upwork profile. 

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Avery, whilst that is true, it is completely unacceptable that

1) There is no mention about the 3 day wait anywhere during the process and

2) At the last step there is a pop up which confirms that the portfolio item "is now published" when that is entirely untrue.

It even shows in the freelancer view. Only when switching to "view how others see it" view does it become obvious that the portfolio item isn't there.

No explanation anywhere and no way for the freelancer to know.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I appreciate that you pointed these out Petra!

I tried it just now and can see how the final step where the confirmation message - "It is now published!" may be very confusing, when in fact, the item is still under review. On my end, I see that my portfolio item is under review, although it doesn't say why, and no other information is available on why it is under review. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 2.10.36 PM.png

I'll go ahead and share these with the team so that we can look into improving this experience for our users. Thank you for taking time to flag this!

~ Avery
Upwork
chadworth
Community Member

So very interesting.

They've apparently given mods the ability to affect change at UpWork.

This wasn't always the case.

UpWork listening to their mods.  Who could have imagined this?

carlosacb
Community Member

Hi everyone!

I came to ask the same question. There's no instructions anywhere (or at least easily accessible) about this.

Can I add a recommendation? Every time you change a portfolio linked to a project, it goes to review. If cliente already gave his/her permission, why ask him again? If I publish a portfolio and did a few minor fixes/corrections after publishing (let's say... five), client will have six emails about it! Not only that, client will think is the freelancer doing spam.

I.e.: I always add in my portfolio something like "all private data has been removed, if you wish to this portfolio dissapear, just let me know and I do that!" at the end. I only corrected one character (ONE) and it went to reviewing... 3 days for a character Smiley Frustrated

Maybe 3 days for the initial approval (btw, I second that opinion that it should be an option during delivery/contract ending, other platforms do it that way), and 1 day for changes (tops!).

Hello Kenneth! It's great that you woke up the topic, and I hope that this time it leads to some improved changes!

Ivana Ivanovic Petrovic
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths