🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Portugal IRS and W-8BEN form
Page options
mclpereira
Community Member

Portugal IRS and W-8BEN form

Hello,
I'm a Portuguese citizen and resident. I wanted to know if I should submit the W-8BEN, and if so, how should I submit it and where to?
Also, if you can provide me with information about how I should declare my earnings to the Portuguese IRS?
Thankfully,
Muriel Pereira

5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Muriel,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. To complete your W-8BEN, please go to Settings  Tax Information, and kindly provide us with your legal name and address.

Upwork charges VAT to freelancers and agencies in certain countries unless specific exemption requirements are met. Upwork is required to collect this tax and pay it to the appropriate government agency. For more information, please check out this help article.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joana,

My name is Jelena, I also live in Portugal and should have my residence settled by the end of the year.

I have joined UpWork recently and have similar doubts as Muriel here. Actually, more.

1. I don't have VAT number, but I'm working 30h/week under contract for a local company that pays my taxes here. I guess that regardless of that, Upwork will still be charging me VAT for projects I do on the platform?

2. Does Upwork charges VAT for the projects with low fixed price such as 5$ or there is a limit?

Thank you for your time,

Jelena

Hi Jelena, 

You will still need to complete your W-8BEN form. Also, Upwork charges VAT to freelancers and agencies in certain countries unless specific exemption requirements are met. I encourage you to check the information I shared in this thread, including the help article links. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you.
38b53998
Community Member

Hi, I found this topic https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Portugal/td-p/260904/page/2 that explains pretty much everything needed. You just need to dig a little.
It's a bit old but I think it's still good.
I'm replying on this also old topic to share it on a topic with a name easier to find.
That topic actually should be a pinned on the PT group, if there was any 😕

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members