Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 


Active Member
Krystel L Member Since: Mar 1, 2017
51 of 61

Hello Eduarda,


This is the bad thing about working on Upwork being a simple freelancer in Portugal: you can't put the Upwork fees as a work expense, unless you are in "contabilidade organizada". With the "regime simplificado" (the standard system for freelancers in Portugal), the Portuguese Tax System only taxes 75% of all of your income. The invoice that you pass it's the Upwork Invoice that you receive at the end of your work (with the total of $work), so you need to calculate very well you work price because this is going to enter to your taxes.

About the invoice aboard: if your client as an Valid VAT number of the Europen Union (you can check here: ), when you insert the invoice on the Portal de Finanàas, on "Regime de IVA" you need to choose " Regras de localização - art.6 [regras especificas]" and on the IRS: "sem retenção - não residente sem estabelecimento".
If the client is outside of the EU or if it doesn't a valid vat number, you need to choose the "IVA - regime de insenção [art.53] (since you are exempt) and the "Diepnsa de retenção". Make sure that on the country field you insert the right country (even if you don't have any VAT number), so the Finanças can adjust the VAT on the end.




– Krystel Leal

Active Member
Josh O Member Since: Dec 21, 2017
52 of 61



I am going to register the start of an activity on the 'portal das financa' website, but I'm unsure of the activity code. I am a freelance writer. Does anyone know what category code it falls under? I am due to do my residency soon and am using freelancing as self-employed as my reason. If anyone could let me know the activity code, I would be super grateful


Thanks Smiley Happy.

Active Member
Silvia P Member Since: Jan 22, 2018
53 of 61

Hi there,

I've been working for several clients on Upwork for a while, but am just now getting familiarised with taxes and all that.

I'm afraid my income will come down to nothing after paying for IRS, SS and IVA...

What's a realistic amount to pay for that if I make around $500/month?

Thanks in advance.

Active Member
Maria Y Member Since: Sep 5, 2018
54 of 61

Silvia P, If your last year income was below 10'000€ in total, you don't pay IVA.

IRS for Atividades nos ramos artístico, técnico ou cientifico (us) is 20%

SegSocial you pay 21,4%, but you can ask reduce your "escalão" down two steps (will be about 16%)

I.e. 36% of taxes in total

Active Member
Luis de Sousa T Member Since: Feb 2, 2018
55 of 61

ave one Hello Kristel,


Thank you for all your support Smiley Happy

I have one doubt. My invoices (recibos verdes), I am putting the total amount I received at my bank account. So reading your post got me confused "The invoice that you pass it's the Upwork Invoice that you receive at the end of your work (with the total of $work), so you need to calculate very well you work price because this is going to enter to your taxes." 

Do I have to add the upwork fee value to the invoice? I am just adding the final value, that I actually received...


Thank you in advance,



Active Member
Krystel L Member Since: Mar 1, 2017
56 of 61

Hello Luis,


You need to submit the invoice/recibo verde with the total amount of the invoice that you received from Upwork and billed to your client (= the amount that you received + fees of Upwork). The charges of Upwork is a payment that YOU and only YOU made...not the client responsibility, so it is not deductible on the invoice that you are filling.


If you are on "Regime de Contabilidade Simplificada" (the most common), only 75% of your income will be deductible to tax/IRS. The other 25% are automatically seen as "despesas de trabalho." On this "Regime de Contabilidade Simplificada" you can't make official invoices of your expenses. When you make an invoice/recibo verde with the total of your official invoice (with the upwork taxes), 25% percent of this amount will be reported as job expenses – since the upwork fees are 20%-10%-5%, it's ok ;-)


If you are on "Regime de Contabilidade Organizada" you also fill a recibo verde with all of the amount shown on your Upwork Invoice, but you can submit the other invoice that Upwork sends you with the fees as a job expense.


I wrote last week a post about this in Portuguese, if you want to read:



Active Member
Necip Eray D Member Since: Feb 15, 2018
57 of 61

Hi Krystel!


I'm amazed how you help people and share your experiences about being freelancer. Very much liked it. I'm also living in Portugal/Porto. Naturally im from Turkey, came to portugal for master but with some reasons i didn't finish yet. Last summer i started getting jobs from Upwork and each day my network is expanding. So i thought maybe i should somehow start my activity in Portugal. I just have NIF number, i don't have any VAT or other things. I would like to register myself as freelancer and declare my earnings since i've been here and earning money for sometime. Just i dont know how and where to start this. Can you help me?

Active Member
Claudio D Member Since: May 16, 2016
58 of 61

Hey guys,


Great to see there's already a considerable amount of people from Portugal on Upwork. With our economic climate, this type of work will definitely continue to grow - might as well take advantage of it!


I'm from Porto by the way. Keep up the good work!

Active Member
Mariana S Member Since: Jul 31, 2018
59 of 61

Hi everyone!


I am also a Portuguese freelancer working here, and I have just ran into this group.

I have tried to find answers to my questions, but since I'm really new to accounting and finance, I figured I would ask in case someone can help me in simple terms Smiley Happy

I have been working here since June last year, and I have been withdrawing relatively small amounts each month. However, things are thriving now, and I have just landed a big project that has made me reflect upon my financial situation. The only freelancing work I do is on this platform, and I am currently studying, so, I have no other job. I am working here mainly to build my CV and get some side earnings to finance my studies. I have found articles on-line saying that if this is just temporary work, I might not need to register and declare my earning officially. Is this correct? And is it still true for a project in which I will earn 1000€+? Should I register in "finanças" as an independent worker, with the simplified regimen? Which taxes will I have to pay? 


Sorry about all the questions, and best of luck to all my fellow "tugas" working here Smiley Happy

Active Member
Ionathan P Member Since: Nov 10, 2018
60 of 61

I was also interested to know the answer to this question, i have read a
few other similar subjects and the answer that i found was to contact an
accountant and discuss with him. I know the laws are a bit different in
every country, i found my answer to this question by contacting an

I hope this will help you as well.