cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Fraud

ryannevekich
Ryanne V Member Since: Aug 8, 2017
1 of 4

I recently applied for a job and now the client is asking for my phone number, address, and email.  I know the job description does mention that mailing documents is required, but I want to make sure this isn't a scam.  Any tips?

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2 of 4

None of that is unusual, depending on your need to communicate with the client to successfully complete the project.

If the client has been on Upwork for a while and successfully worked with other freelancers (read their feedback), you're unllikely to be the target of a scam by them.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
3 of 4

Ryanne - If the job requires the mailing of documents, of course an address is required. And communicating by phone may be better then typing out information or questions. You can document phone conversations in case problems arrise.  Other then that, you don't need to give them any more information such as ss#, divers license #, pasport or visa info, credit card/paypal or bank account information or numbers.

Make sure that:

You have an active contract on this site

The clients account is verified BEFORE starting work.

If this is a fixed rate job, that escrow is FULLY funded either for the entire job or for each milestone as they come up BEFORE you start working,

If this is an hourly job, use Tracker (to tract your time) and document the screen shots according to the activity you're doing.

jae_sung_kim
Ace Contributor
Jae Sung K Member Since: Jun 25, 2017
4 of 4

you're right to take any precautions when revealing your personal info. make sure you're hired first and milestones funded

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS