Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Hacked Accounts

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 13

I just received this from a client I have not heard from in two years. Also mentions an attached file which was not there. I strongly suspect his Odesk account has been hacked or Odesk itself may have been hacked as it was in the Odesk messaging system, not my personal email.

Watch out for this in case it is something to worry about. The whole message sounds off to me.

In the last days, facebook was hacked so we require you to open the attached program. It will enable a secure connection to facebook so you will be safe.

Facebook is attempting to warn all our members in no time but our email capacity are moderate. Our site would be very thankful if you would mail the attached software to your peers and relatives urgently.

NOTICE that this file is only readable with a Personal Computer

caldus
Ace Contributor
Andrew C Member Since: Apr 19, 2015
2 of 13

Yeah definitely a phishing attempt there. That's scary that you received it from an otherwise trustworthy client. I would be seriously concerned if I were ODesk and find out who is doing this. Makes you not want to deal with anyone on here. ODesk certainly gives the impression to freelancers that it's normal and OK to have lots of spammy/scammy stuff on this site.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
3 of 13

Hi oDesk account was most likely not hacked, he most likely got infected and his address book was infected and emails sent out without him even knowing it. He probably had your email in his contacts.

jsutherland
Community Guru
4 of 13

The message came through his Odesk account. Not email.

ago_g
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
5 of 13

You have just received the Amish Virus; because we don't have any computer or programming experience, this virus works on the Honor System. Please delete all the files on your hard drive and manually forward this virus to everyone on your mailing list.

Thanks for your cooperation

The Amish Computer Engineering Department

Computer datin bases..... what will they think of next ?!! Smiley LOL

jsutherland
Community Guru
6 of 13

I received the message from his Odesk account through the Odesk messaging system.  It's sitting there in my Odesk messages.

You want me to delete everything on my hard drive?

Ok, but don't like that idea.

I'll have to figure out a way to get back online after I delete everything.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
7 of 13

Odesk messaging system is still an email system. You are probably not infected unless you opened the attachment. Your client's account was most likely not hacked but most likely has an infected computer.

caldus
Ace Contributor
Andrew C Member Since: Apr 19, 2015
8 of 13

Jean, he wasn't actually telling you to do that. I think he was showing another example of a phishing scam. You don't need to do that. I would contact ODesk and let them know what is happening. They really ought to know if people are hacking their site and especially need to do something about it if that's the case.

ago_g
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
9 of 13

To clarify.....

It's just a joke I posted above. I spotted that joke years ago and the similarities were pretty close. Andrew has it completely right. You should follow his advice in this matter.

Yes, I'm aware that this is not a joke but when I saw this topic, it reminded me so much of the "Amish Virus" that I couldn't help but post it here!!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 13

Thank you for reporting this, Jean. I will let our Securty Team know to make sure they are aware and take immediate actions.

Also, I have checked and it looks like the attachement was blocked by our system and cannot be accessed through the Message Center. If you still received it in the email notification, please make sure not to open it.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS