🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Possible Scam
Page options
cowan_heidi
Community Member

Possible Scam?

I had applied to a job posting and I don't know to check if they are legitimate or not. On Upwork, their posting seems normal. "Looking for a proofreader who is..." and I applied. They sent me a message for an interview over on Skype and after passing the interview they are saying they are going to send me a check to buy "official equipment from a local company vendor". They are asking for my bank and I don't think this is normal. 

52 REPLIES 52
prestonhunter
Community Member

This is a scam. There is no real "job."

This is a scammer who wants to steal money from you.

There are no legitimate jobs on Upwork in which a client will need bank information from you.

re: "I don't know to check if they are legitimate or not."

Well, there is no "Check if Legitimate" button. There is no list of which jobs are not legitimate.

But experienced Upwork freelancers are able to identify scammers and illegitimate jobs within a few seconds. You'll get to that point too, fairly quickly, if you continue to use the site.

We know the signs of scams, and in an all honesty, the same signs are repeated over and over again. The same scams get used over and over again, so it's not really that complicated.

One of the most basic things to look for is that scammers do things that violate Upwork rules. Asking to accept payment outside of the Upwork platform violates a very important Upwork rule, and it is a common sign of a scam.

No legitimate Upwork client sends anybody a real check. Scammers send fake checks so that they can steal money from your bank account. It is an effective, lucrative way to steal money from naive newbies. If you received a real check from anybody you meet on Upwork, it would be grounds for you to be suspended or terminated from the platform. You could even get suspended or terminated for receiving a fake check.

re: "send me a check to buy 'official equipment from a local company vendor'"

Yeah... That's just the standard "fake check" scam. It is the most common scam on Upwork. It's common on all freelance work platforms, and other places as well (CraigsList, LinkedIn, etc.).

Pretty boring, really. I like hearing about new scams. The only thing "new" about this is that the scammers are using Skype instead of only using Google Hangouts. I think it has only been a month or two now that we have been seeing reports of scammers regularly using Skype for the fake check scam.

re: "They sent me a message for an interview over on Skype and after passing the interview"

It was just chat, wasn't it? They asked you to use Skype, but you never actually heard their voice or saw them live?

Exactly what happened to me! Thank you for sharing!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tamara,

Thanks for flagging this for us. I've checked and the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this thread for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
669b7299
Community Member

Hi,

This happened to me and I cashed the check. However, I stupidly came to read more about it after the fact, freaked out, ran to my bank who is now rejecting the check (it was still pending). I reported the posting and will no longer be in contact with them. Is there anything else I should do?

MacKenzie H wrote:

Hi,

This happened to me and I cashed the check. However, I stupidly came to read more about it after the fact, freaked out, ran to my bank who is now rejecting the check (it was still pending). I reported the posting and will no longer be in contact with them. Is there anything else I should do?

Yes - you shouldn't accept interviews off of the Upwork system before you're officially hired via Upwork, and you shouldn't accept cheques at all, for any reason, ever. Both of these things are terms of service violations that can get your account banned. 

Yes, it was my first time and feel extremely stupid. Is there anything else I should do besides report the listing?

MacKenzie H wrote:

Yes, it was my first time and feel extremely stupid. Is there anything else I should do besides report the listing?

Unfortunately there are hundreds if not thousands of scammers doing this, so they'll just change their names and come back. Now that you know what to watch out for, at least it won't happen to you again. When you're bidding on projects, also watch out for new, unverified clients whose posts are set to US-only, have vague job descriptions and offer higher rates than average (although I would like to stress that these aren't ALWAYS red flags, it's best to be on your guard).

d1179b67
Community Member

This just happend to me so these scammers are back. The posting is for "Assistant wanted for product sourcing and procurement management". 

What is the scam? 

petra_r
Community Member

Matthew wrote:

This just happend to me so these scammers are back. The posting is for "xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx". 

"They" are not "back" - they were never gone from anywhere on the Internet. "They" are thousands, usually from countries far, far away.

If you don't violate Upwork's terms of service by communicating with prospective clients (or scammers) outside of Upwork before you have a proper Upwork contract in place, you should be quite safe from almost all scams.

What is the scam? 

Probably the ancient and incredibyl dumb fake check scam.... Been around for well over a decade.

I just wasted a good amount of my day dealing with this exact same scam.  I wish I had of read your post first. This is very sad as well as criminal. It was my first proposal and knew it sounded too good to be true.  I am hoping that Upwork will have better ways of vetting clients.

re: "I am hoping that Upwork will have better ways of vetting clients."

Upwork does not vet clients.

Well, thanks for letting me know. I guess Upwork is not the place for me.

Margo A wrote:
Well, thanks for letting me know. I guess Upwork is not the place for me.

It is wildly amazing to me how many people think that it's up to Upwork to protect them at all costs when the TRUE issue is that they couldn't properly read the terms of service.

Hi Margo,

If you see a job that seemed suspicious, please report it to so that our team can review and take appropriate actions. I'd recommend that you please check out the thread that Bojan shared, and this help article, Also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You may also send us a PM to report and, we'll gladly share it with the team for you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

The job I sent a proposal to was Convert an audio podcast to text transcript.**Edited for community guidelines** I received an email from**Edited for community guidelines**at Upwork informing me that I had been sent a project invitation from the client and he included a link. That link then gave me instructions to make contact with the client via Skype which I did.

I'm not saying it's an excuse but since this was my first experience sending a proposal and getting a response I was somewhat naive. Since the request to set up the Skype came via the email from**Edited for community guidelines**it did not occur to me that it should be questioned. In any case, I was asked a series of questions then told I had been selected. I was then asked for my name, address and phone number so they could prepare an offer letter. I was told they would be sending me a check to purchase equipment; the hourly rate was higher than posted and they hoped to make this a long-term partnership.

When I received the offer letter I told them I thought Upwork should be a part of the process and asked if they would then bring in an Upwork contact which would make me more comfortable. That was the end of the communication. Here are some more details:

**Edited for community guidelines**

This was a very disheartening experience and I hope no one else has to experience it. I was disappointed to realize Upwork doesn't do a better job of vetting clients so my trust level has dissipated.

Thank you,
Margo

Hi Margo,

Thanks for sharing more information. I'll be sure to report this to the team for review. If you have more information that you would like to share, please feel free to send me a PM by clicking on my name. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Avoid scammers and keep the conversation within UpWork
data_divas
Community Member

Sounds like a scam. Clients have no reason to need your banking information and if they want you to have equipment they can order it and have it sent to you. In all my years of freelancing no one ever needed me purchase special equipment.  Please flag the job. 

tamikamira
Community Member

Hi,

That exact process happened with me under a job for proofreading for:

**Edited for community guidelines** contacted me. After an "interview" on Skype (no video, just text) and filling out a form, they said I was accepted and would pay x amount for my work plus $100 bonus because of the Coronaviurs (which I though was weird). Then they asked me for my banking instiution (big red flag) and said that they would send ME a check within the hour so that I could purchase the work from home equipment I would need from them, like a secure laptop. 

When I asked for more details on the project they said that they would get to that later. I will not be cashing the check they sent me, especially after reading this article: **Edited for community guidelines**

Tamara E wrote:

Hi,

That exact process happened with me under a job for proofreading for:

**Edited for community guidelines** contacted me. After an "interview" on Skype (no video, just text) and filling out a form, they said I was accepted and would pay x amount for my work plus $100 bonus because of the Coronaviurs (which I though was weird). Then they asked me for my banking instiution (big red flag) and said that they would send ME a check within the hour so that I could purchase the work from home equipment I would need from them, like a secure laptop. 

When I asked for more details on the project they said that they would get to that later. I will not be cashing the check they sent me, especially after reading this article: **Edited for community guidelines**

Even if this hadn't been a scam, it was against the rules for you to accept a cheque from a client or chat on Skype; all messages and conversations have to stay on the Upwork platform until you have a contract in place. You should read the terms of service or you're liable to have your account banned.

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Also look out for the "work sample" scam.  Depending on what services you offer, clients will ask you (and others) to perform a certain job as a sample so they can choose the best candidate from the submissions.  This is just a way for them to get free work.  Imagine having a large project with several parts, then giving each potential hire a slice of that project as a "test", they collect up all of the "tests" and now have their project completed so they tell each candidate that they chose someone else while walking away with an entire project.

Consult with potential clients but don't be afraid to stop the conversation and inform them that in order to continue you'd need to have an established contract.

Wow that is sneaky! Thank you for the heads up!
dlewebb
Community Member

Same exact thing happened to me! Once I put up a hand and slowed their roll, they started getting pushy. They are certainly working it. 

tamaragabb
Community Member

Yes this is a thing

ec439207
Community Member

This is happening to me right now with a similar proofreading description. I'm new to upwork and didnt realize until they started asking about bank info for a check. Two different listings. One claims to be **Edited for community guidelines** and the other **Edited for community guidelines**.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sophia,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve checked this report and projects have already been taken down because they were in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the clients' accounts. 

Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork
08f427d3
Community Member

The current scam going right now is **Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Theyre even using a fake domain,**Edited for Community Guidelines** to send emails. 

This is the old "fake check" scam promising a workstation to do the work they hire you for. They even have letterhead from**Edited for Community Guidelines** sending offer letters and job info. 

petra_r
Community Member

Jason P wrote:

This is the old "fake check" scam 

It's already been taken down.

For future reference: Don't violate Upwork's Terms of Service by communicating with prospective clients outside the platform, and you'll not have to deal with those scammers. As a bonus, you don't risk getting your account suspended for the terms-of-service violation.

08f427d3
Community Member

I didnt violate upwork terms of service. Im trying to help people by warning,**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Jason P wrote:

I didnt violate upwork terms of service. 

You did if you communicated with them in any way outside of Upwork, such as per email.

**Edited for Community Guidelines** You will either get scammed or have your account suspended otherwise.

The rules are in place in part to protect you from scammers.

You're welcome.

PS: And the details you have posted will be removed by a moderator because those, too, are not allowed. 

Jason P wrote:

I didnt violate upwork terms of service. Im trying to help people by warning,**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Actually, you did violate the terms of service. 1. How did this company email you, if you didn't give them your email address? 2. You named an innocent company, who had nothing to do with this scam - that's against the community rules.**Edited for Community Guidelines**

The correct way to report a scam is by using the "flag as inappropriate" link at the top of the project page.

They sent a PDF containing information in Upwork messaging. I spotted the fake domain with an extra "s" in their email. I did NOT email them.**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Jason,

I'm sorry to hear you encountered this kind of activity in the marketplace. I went ahead and forwarded your report directly to the appropriate team for review. They will take any necessary action as per our processes. Please know, you can always report this kind of activity directly to our Trust & Safety team by following the steps here

As a friendly reminder to all, while we'll continue to allow criticism, posts that come without constructive feedback or are disparaging of other members won't be allowed. Forums like the Community are at their best when participants treat each other with respect and courtesy.
We do appreciate your participation, so please be considerate of this in your future replies.

~Andrea
Upwork

Why doesn't Upwork compile a list of the textbook scams which have existed on here for years and mail them to every new member upon verifying their account? It would be impossible to eradicate the scams, but not so difficult to teach people how to identify them in the first place.

Another upwork user filled me in, as Im new.

The guidelines and moderators are here to protect Upwork and Upwork's reputation, not the freelancers or businesses that use it.

In the last 7 years, the company I own has spent over $250K on upwork. Almost every time we post a job, over 75% of the respondents are scammers using hijacked LinkedIn profiles to convince buyers they're for real. Reports of these scams have gone, well, ignored.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I spent 20 years in the NSA/CIA in cybersecurity and this process is reckless, selfish, and dangerous to all when scams and cyber threats go unreported and unshared. In the business and IT world, there are industry-based threat-sharing entities that exist to do nothing but surface these threats so others are safe.  https://www.enisa.europa.eu/topics/national-cyber-security-strategies/information-sharing

Shame on upwork and shame on the moderators. More info means a safer community, regardless of upworks liabilities. 

Dont think this is constrcutive? Go on now, block this post and kill my account. Im sure it's coming. Youve just lost a big customer. Ill be blogging at length about this on Medium this week.

One of my biggest dislikes about this forum are those who can berate and chastise freely, and those who are expected to sit here and take it.  I tend to just work and keep working towards my goals.  That way I avoid getting beaten with a ruler.

Yeah I get it. It's just a shame. Ill be moving on to other methods. This platform has become unhealthy and employers are learning this too. Most of the businesses I take on directly are reporting myriad scams and that they're moving on to indeed or other methods of part-time hiring. Upwork could have chosen to do this all the right way, but they chose to protect commissions at all costs no matter if the money changing hands is a scam or legitimate. Best of luck to you. 

It was much worse when I started on here as ODesk 8 years ago, then you could rate responses on a scale of 1-10! 

Ramon B wrote:

Why doesn't Upwork compile a list of the textbook scams which have existed on here for years and mail them to every new member upon verifying their account? It would be impossible to eradicate the scams, but not so difficult to teach people how to identify them in the first place.

People don't read the ToS, they don't read the helpful tips for newbies, they don't read the forum, what makes you think they would read a random email? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths