🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Possible Scam
Page options
0094155e
Community Member

Possible Scam

I suspect that I may be involved in a potential scam situation. As a web developer, this is my first time using Upwork. On Sunday morning, I came across a job posting for a simple two-page website and decided to apply. Later that night, the client reached out to me, and we began discussing the project. During our interview, I noticed that the client's response times were unusually long. When I checked the job posting again, I discovered that they were simultaneously interviewing about 25 other individuals.

Eventually, we agreed upon an hourly rate, but the client also requested that I purchase a domain name and hosting on their behalf. They promised to send me a bonus amount to cover the expenses. As a newcomer to Upwork, I was unaware that the payment would not be instantly available and would instead be listed as pending. The client sent me an offer from a different account, which I accepted. They then asked me to proceed with purchasing the domain and provide them with an update.

Upon checking the availability of the domain, I found that it was already taken on various hosting platforms. The client suggested I purchase it from Namecheap, where it was being sold at a premium price of $159, well beyond my budget. I messaged the client, explaining my confusion as a new user on the platform, and offered an alternative solution. I proposed that the client could purchase the domain themselves, and I would develop the website on a local host server. Once the website was completed, I would then upload it to the desired domain.

Now, it is Monday evening, and I have not received a response from the client. Out of curiosity, I checked the account from which the offer was sent and discovered that it was created on the same day with no reviews. Additionally, the account from which the job was posted is still actively offering the position and has interviewed four more people.

I am seeking guidance on what steps I should take next. Should I cancel the contract or trust the client and proceed with purchasing the domain on their behalf? I am also concerned about the potential impact of this situation on my Upwork profile.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
grendon
Community Member

Hi there. 

Yes, this is most definitely a scam. They just want you to purchase the domain, so they can use it for who knows what intents without being liable for their actions. 

My suggestion, do not accept the contract or cancel if you already have accepted it. And move on. 

And report the user of course. 

Here's a link to the resource center, you can find all sorts of useful information there, so you can be prepared for a next time. It won't be the last time you'll encounter a scammer, believe me. But is up to you  whether they succeed or not. 

https://www.upwork.com/resources

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
iwan-spillebeen
Community Member

Do not, ever, spend money on behalf of a client you don't know the first thing about. You are a freelancer, hired to do a job, not to front client's funds, ever. I would flag the contract as inappropriate since this is a scam, a client should never request a freelancer to pay anything on their behalf.

grendon
Community Member

Hi there. 

Yes, this is most definitely a scam. They just want you to purchase the domain, so they can use it for who knows what intents without being liable for their actions. 

My suggestion, do not accept the contract or cancel if you already have accepted it. And move on. 

And report the user of course. 

Here's a link to the resource center, you can find all sorts of useful information there, so you can be prepared for a next time. It won't be the last time you'll encounter a scammer, believe me. But is up to you  whether they succeed or not. 

https://www.upwork.com/resources

navidzafar
Community Member

Guranteed Scam!

kbadeau
Community Member

Additionally, my motto is I don't ever deal with clients who are already interviewing more than 3 or 4 people. It just screams scam.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths