cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Scam

jessie_johnston
Jessie J Member Since: Mar 11, 2017
1 of 2

Hi there.  I am new to this line of work.  Today I was contacted by a potential client telling me that after reviewing my resume they were very interested in hiring me for a data entry position.  They requested that I contact them through Google Hangout versus speaking over the phone or talking through the available Upwork IM.  

I went ahead and did the Google Hangout interview.  They said I'd be a regular employee of the company with 401(k), health and dental, sick/vacation pay, etc.  They said I'd be paid weekly or biweekly via check or direct deposit, my choice.  I didn't really think too much about this until later in the interview they asked me multiple times which job I was interviewing for (even though they contacted me about a specific position) and then asked me which bank I did business with, as they needed to verify whether it was compatible with their payroll system.  When I refused to provide my bank information they told me OK - stay in your Google Hangout IM for 5-10 minutes while they went through their "review process".  I felt instantly suspicious and told them that if they were interested in hiring me that they could contact me through Upwork.    

Is this scam?  

Does Upwork allow people to be paid through other means "offline"?  Seems sketchy.  

I posted this question because I am a new freelancer here and this may be a warning (if its a scam) to my fellow freelancers.

Thank you very much for your response.

Jessie

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 2

Hi Jessie,

The client you are referring to has already been removed from the platform as they were violating Upwork Policies. Please, review the resources linked to this post and especially the section "Safety First."

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS