🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Possible Scam?!?!?
Page options
jennjatz
Community Member

Possible Scam?!?!?

I was contacted by what appears to be someone from Upwork about a position. When I inquired about the use of Google Hangouts they asked about a different time for interview. I know not to use Google Hangouts. But this was someone posing as an Upwork employee. Upwork Talent Innovation.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Upwork Talent Innovation

17 REPLIES 17
kalafut-kolby
Community Member

Did the email come from the @upwork.com domain?

The invite came from @cloud.upwork.com. Made it look more fishy. When I brought up hangouts again, said it was internally used. 🤔🤔🤔🤔 Also looked up the person interviewing with on LinkedIn and the person sending messages and both ‘appear’ to work for upwork. The person interview with his email address is @upwork.com

Jennifer, 

I have flagged your post so that a moderator can look into this for you. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jennifer,

I checked this for you and this looks like an offer from an Enterprise client. Please, see this help article section for more information about Upwork Enterprise for freelancers and learn more about the Talent Cloud network. If you are interested in the job, go ahead and follow the instructions to accept the interview invite.

Edited to add:

I understand your concern and will share it with the team. While there is a Voice Video tool available within Upwork Messages, clients, including Enterprise clients and Upwork team, may use other means to schedule meetings, set up appointments or interviews and communicate.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
jennjatz
Community Member

Are you sure? Google hangouts doesn’t seem to be the most appropriate tool to use for interviewing or business purposes?!?!?

Jennifer J wrote:
Are you sure? Google hangouts doesn’t seem to be the most appropriate tool to use for interviewing or business purposes?!?!?

Jennifer, 

I think if Bojan says it's OK, you can go ahead and accept the interview/job.

However, I do think that people who are called "Upwork talent innovation" (whatever that means) should be actively discouraged from using Google Hangouts. 

re: "Did the email come from the @upwork.com domain?"

It does not matter what it looked like.

Upwork employees do not ask anybody to use Google Hangouts.

If anybody who works for Upwork thought that maybe it would be okay to ask an Upwork user to use Google Hangouts for any reason... they need to know that this is not acceptable.

Preston H wrote:

re: "Did the email come from the @upwork.com domain?"

It does not matter what it looked like.

Exactly. The "From" email address can be spoofed. You have to look at the full header to see where it really came from. Some email providers will catch this, and flag the message, but not all.

Sheila

If a client wanted to pay me $1000 to talk to me for five minutes, I would turn him down if he mentioned Google Hangouts.

Whether legitimate or not, a client isn't going to be able to hire me through Google Hangouts.

I have receive an e-mail from someone@cloud.upwork.com 

is it OK or possible scam?

Someone contacted me and asked me to remove all my data on Upwork account and to remove my profile picture and replaced it with a new one that shows my face better. 

the sender is from @cloud.upwork.com.

is it OK or a possible scam???

please help...

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ali,

I checked and see that a support ticket about your profile was sent to you a few years ago when you first registered and you can find it here. If you're referring to a different email, could you please send me a PM with a screenshot and the email address? 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi,

Please find attached a similar situation for an openings, but it looks very suspecius.

Let me know if this is legit.

Thanks

Antonio

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Antonio G wrote:

Let me know if this is legit.

It's legit.

annie-zhu
Community Member

Hi guys, I have a similar situation, received a email from @cloud.upwork.com today saying they're from the Upwork Enterprise Talent Services. Can you help check if they're legit? I can send a screenshot if you need. Thanks.

Hi Annie,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the email you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and advise you accordingly.

~ Nikola
Upwork
alexandernovikov
Community Member

See how paranoid the amount of scams on the platform, made us. If that happened to me i'd also assume that was a scam. There's also scare about inadvertently violating rules and getting banned, or being held on the hook by scamsters threatening to report this inadvertent violation and extorting free work, and who knows what else... A minefield.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members