🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Possible Scam
Page options
bil4aug
Community Member

Possible Scam

I was being contacted by a person "**Edited for community guidelines**" on to apply for a position I sent my resume. Another person **Edited for community guidelines**called me on my whatsapp and discussed the technologies used in the project and my past experience and invited me for a coding challenge. He sent me teamviewer access While is started to look at the task it was not the task but instead the real project. I checked the logo of the company. So while I was doing the task I checked the upwork job posting and it was vanished away and I contacted the organization he was pretending employee of and they have negated the hiring on Upwork. I left that task incomplete and informed him that it is done. He even didn't know the abc of that project while he was pretending to be the lead of development team. I messaged him to communicate any thing related to interview through a proper chanel he didn't replied to my messages and the access to teamviewer was closed by him I asked him why it was closed and he said due to a security threat it was closed.

I wanted to know that is there any kind of reporting procedure on Upwork to report such kind of scams?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad Bilal,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review. 

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
a_lipsey
Community Member

The way to avoid this is to not violate the TOS, which you did right from the start when you communicated with the client off platform pre-contract. Read the Help articles and TOS, and you can avoid breaking the TOS in the future and being targeted by scammers.

If the job was already taken down while you were talking to him then there is nothing left to report.  

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad Bilal,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review. 

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members