cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Possible Scammer trying to get Free Translation samples - contact via Skype !

guenther-vomberg
Günther V Member Since: May 12, 2015
1 of 2

Although said and mentioned many times, nobody should deliver so called "Free Translation examples" outside of upwork. 

The scemes are multiple - mostly scammers google freelancers and find your profiles and skype adress. They then contact you through skype or google hangout or whichever contact platform they have and request so called "translation examples" in order to evaluate your proficiency.

Now one could simply "click them away" or "block them", but I prefer to give them a crappy translation (worse than google) and let them fall on their noises with it.

Now, one never knows, some real companies use upwork under a different name, so the actual applications or invitations do not match the skype contact, but then they would announce the contact time and adress along with other details and certainly use skype for a verbal interview and not some "free samples".

I get about 2 - 3 Job or other invitations like this every month, not allk are caused by upwork. There is nothing one can do about it, aside from going in hidiong completely, which would not be fruitful for freelance work.

I hope to have helped some new freelancers with this typical example.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 2

Hi Günther, 

I had to edit your post because posting chat transcripts and private communication violates the Upwork Community Guidelines

But your post is really helpful. And I would like to request for you to edit your post to include or narrate what the client was doing - like what other red flags can we get from your chat with him -  so that other community members can learn from your experience. Smiley Happy

~ Avery
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS