cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Possible client asking for free "trial" work

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
11 of 15

"Then they tell you that your portfolio doesn't contain exactly what they're looking for (which is true) and ask for some trial work to show you can do what they need."

True or not, that's precisely the time I would say, "thanks, don't let the door hit you on your way out". Either that or suggest a small paid test. How they react to that suggestion will tell you all you need to know.

Neil A Member Since: Feb 2, 2018
12 of 15

Update on this. Job poster was reported as asking for free work, job was taken down. Now a message has come in - the job has been taken down due to "technical issues". I rub my chin and frown...

But also, the client still claims they will be making a decision about who to hire soon and then posting it as a new job for the chosen candidate.

I'll keep you posted - I think it's a very interesting saga that doesn't fit the normal scope of fakey free work things. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 15

re: "But also, the client still claims they will be making a decision about who to hire soon and then posting it as a new job for the chosen candidate."

And maybe the client is a magical leprechaun who will grant you three wishes.

At least you're smart enough not to fall for this.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
14 of 15

@Preston H wrote:

re: "But also, the client still claims they will be making a decision about who to hire soon and then posting it as a new job for the chosen candidate."

And maybe the client is a magical leprechaun who will grant promise you three wishes. if you give him the wishes first so he can look them over. 

At least you're smart enough not to fall for this. (to be debated)

Highlighted
Samson C Member Since: Nov 20, 2017
15 of 15

I experienced the same thing but not here in Upwork. The client posted a job that needs to be done by the team. There are 20 freelancers in a team that would do the phase 1 which is the trial for free. Anyone who passed the trial task will be hired for phase 2 with a payment of $10 per hour. So, we were gathered into a group conversation in Skype and has given different task to do. Then, after everyone has submitted the output per task the client has replied everyone that we could not proceed to phase 2. The sad thing is that, none of those 20 freelancers were hired. Then, the client project was done with free of charge. Here is the message that the client sent to us

"Hello...thanks for your interest in the postion of Online Internet Researcher. We have been swamped with requests (over 131+) for the position so we apologize for the delay yet we are getting back in contact with all interested parties. So here are the details... We are looking to add 5 new members to the team with the pay being approx. $20.00 hour once a team member has been finalized. Payments will be made through Guru.com Hiring will be done in 3 phases. Phase 1: Training 1-3 days NO PAY Phase 2: Trail hire 3 days at $10.00/hr Phase 3: Final hire at $20.00/hr on project by project basis with projects averaging 10-40 hrs. We are always looking for great people to hire and this should be easy work for the right person. If you would still like to be considered for the position please send a Skype reply to my partner stating why you think you'd be the best person for the position. Look forward to your brilliance!!! "

It sounds good to read a post like this. But let yus beware to client who used free trial as a mean of finishing the task for free!

Just wanted to share this for you to avoid clients like this. Justice to out three-day work was not served.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS