🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Possible job scam
Page options
peggycox53
Community Member

Possible job scam

I was hired for a job that I think may be a scam. They claimed they paid an opt out fee to Upwork to retain me for the job to work outside of the site. This was the first red flag. Is this allowed with Upwork? Next they wanted to know what bank I use so the could send me a check to purchase a dedicated laptop to use exclusively for their project. Second red flag. I would really like to speak to someone about this. I can provide all the links that were sent to me.

6 REPLIES 6
pudingstudio
Community Member

Peggy C wrote:

I was hired for a job that I think may be a scam. They claimed they paid an opt out fee to Upwork to retain me for the job to work outside of the site. This was the first red flag. Is this allowed with Upwork? Next they wanted to know what bank I use so the could send me a check to purchase a dedicated laptop to use exclusively for their project. Second red flag. I would really like to speak to someone about this. I can provide all the links that were sent to me.

Click the flag ("Flag as inappropriate") and report the client. Good people from UpWork will do the rest.

Don't work with them (yes, it's a scam).

colettelewis
Community Member

Peggy C wrote:

Flag the job as "inappropriate".It is a scam and has probably already been delisted by Upwork. But in case it hasn't, I have flagged your post to get a moderator's attention. 

As you are new, it would really help you to read all the links in this thread, particularly on how to avoid scams of this sort: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

ETA: You were not hired unless you had a formal contract set up via Upwork either as a fixed-price job or hourly. 

re: "I would really like to speak to someone about this."

Antun and Nichola already told you what you need to know.

No need to speak to anyone.

If you have additional questions, ask them here or search in the Forum.

JoanneP

Hi Peggy,

I'd like to look into this for you. Could you please send me a PM by clicking on my name? Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Attached is the employment info they sent to me.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Peggy, 

I'll go ahead and report this client so that they can be investigated further. 

In the meantime, I would I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members