🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Possible or potential scam from a client
Page options
joneskellie62
Community Member

Possible or potential scam from a client

Hello,

I recently put in a proposal to a potential client, He contacted me by messenger and asked for my mobile number. I did give my mobile number to discuss the particulars for the possible job offer. The potential client then asked me if I have a credit card and how much debt I have on it. I asked him why he needed that information? He stated that I will need it to buy architectural equipment for him, book travel and anything he might need, purchasing some bitcoins, etc. since I would be his Virtual Assistant. He was even asking me how much I charge by the hour and he would be paying me directly. I said from my understanding of Upwork, your supposed to pay me from their system. He said that I would be paid by direct deposit. I told him I'm sorry, I do not use my credit cards for work. I don't think I am the right person for this job. Thanks and have a great night. 

I am not comfortable using my credit card or my own money to purchase items or services for a client. and I think that is unprofessional and a potential red flag. What is Upwork's policy about freelancers using their own money to pay for the client's business needs?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am grateful for your report.

And I can assure you that reports such as yours help all of us who read the Forum threads stay informed about what's out there.

Thank you for your informative and entertaining first hand account.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

It does not really matter what Upwork's policy is. Because you are too smart to fall for this. You already know that this person was just trying to steal your money.

And you already know that his offer to pay you directly is a violation of Upwork rules.

Yes, that's so true. I just hope that no one else falls for this scam, which is why I am reporting it. Thanks

I am grateful for your report.

And I can assure you that reports such as yours help all of us who read the Forum threads stay informed about what's out there.

Thank you for your informative and entertaining first hand account.

Kellie J wrote:

Yes, that's so true. I just hope that no one else falls for this scam, which is why I am reporting it. Thanks

Kellie,

Talking about this in the forums is not actually reporting it. If you haven't done so, please make sure you flag the job post so that it gets taken down.

Hello Virginia,

Thanks for the information. I just reported it by clicking on the flag on the job post.

Thanks!!

Thank you so much Kellie. I was working for this same scam artist for a day, and until I called a company in the industry he wanted me to research, the business owner told me how he received the same kind of call twice and thinks someone is out to get him. I told him I am just doing research in this industry. He said the other girl who called said the same thing.... That's when I knew this guy is just doing multiple scams on people and he's good because he had me hooked for a day. I also refused to give him my credit card.  

I almost did today. He/she told me that i would get paid directly.
a_lipsey
Community Member

Diana G wrote:
I almost did today. He/she told me that i would get paid directly.

Diana, the best way to avoid scams is to obey the TOS. Do not give out or accept contact information prior to having an Upwork contract. That means no Skype, no whatsapp, no phone calls outside Upwork's message center. The other big TOS violation to avoid is accepting ANY kind of payment outside the platform, for anything. Not for work, not for supplies, not for anything. 

Hope this helps. Stay safe. 

roberty1y
Community Member

This scammer seems to be hedging his bets. He says he wants you to buy both equipment and bitcoin. Usually it's either one or the other. And in either case, you can kiss your money goodbye.

Robert Y wrote:

And in either case, you can kiss your money goodbye.

I think Kellie probably figured that out during the 2 years since she posted about this, don't you? 🙂

Petra R wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

And in either case, you can kiss your money goodbye.

I think Kellie probably figured that out during the 2 years since she posted about this, don't you? 🙂

I need to get into the habit of reading dates. It's a wonder I haven't been poisoned by food that was supposed to have been consumed five years ago. 🤣

Robert Y wrote:

Petra R wrote:

It's a wonder I haven't been poisoned by food that was supposed to have been consumed five years ago. 🤣

LOL, it really is 🤣🤣

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members