🐈 Community
creativedigit

Possible reason why tests weren't transferred from Elance

I've heard this question from Elance people recently about merging their accounts:

"Why aren't my tests transferred from Elance to Upwork?".

Well, yesterday night I received an email from Smarterer stating it will shut down in January 2016 because it has been acquired by a different company. All our Elance tests were held through Smarterer. I don't know if Elance/Upwork knew this in advance, but even if they didn't our tests probably wouldn't stay active anyway.

I am pasting below a part of the email I received yesterday:

"Last year, Pluralsight—the leading provider of online learning for tech and creative pros—acquired Smarterer—the world's most sophisticated skill assessments engine. Since then, we've been connecting the dots between training and assessments, and are happy to share that Smarterer's test engine will soon become part of Pluralsight. This means Smarterer's website and product will shut down on January 1, 2016."

Not sure if their shut down has anything to do with Elance, but it seems they're shutting down together.

Of course my observation assumes test results on Elance were coming live from Smarterer. I have no idea whether Elance was saving the test results in their database or they were relying solely on Smarterer to show the results for each member.

Best regards,
Wassim

13 REPLIES 13
petra_r

How does that have anything to do with whether past test results were transferred from Elance to Upwork or not?

Why would the results of tests taken in the past be affected?

Hello Petra,

I think because the service we took the tests through is retiring. I am not saying this is a good thing. It is just an observation which I wanted to share with the community.

Could I be wrong? Yeah sure, but it all depends whether the test results came through Smarterer or not.

So the service through which the tests were taken will close

Again, how could that affect past test results, (you said "our tests wouldn't stay active anyway.") and how could that possibly be the reason why the test results were not transferred in a migration that's been going on for month and has been planned for a hell of a lot longer?

In other words, how did you conclude that something that will happen in the future caused something that was engineered in the past?

..... but it all depends whether the test results came through Smarterer or not.

I'm even more confused now, didn't you state in your original post that they did? "All our Elance tests were held through Smarterer. "

Hi Petra,

So when we took tests on Elance, those tests were actually Smarterer tests and we were taking them on Smarterer and redirected back to Elance when the tests are complete.

I will edit my posts to include "probably/possibly" words for the parts which confused you, because this was an observation and doesn't necessary need to be 100% correct.

Best regards,
Wassim

OK there you go Petra. Read that up again and let me know if it makes more sense now.

Yes, I see where you are coming from now,Thanks for clarifying it!

I think it is more likely that it would not have been possible to properly integrate the Smartener test results within the Upwork system.

One could also turn the causality around and wonder if losing what must have been one of their biggest clients (Elance) contributed to Smartener's demise....

I don't think Elance knew about Smartener going away prior to June / July (Elance announced that no more tests could be taken via Smartener in July) whereas the decision to not migrate test results was taken almost certainly in 2014.

I doubt Smartener knew it was going to go at that point.

To be the cause of something else an event has to happen BEFORE what it is supposed to cause.... If A happend after B then A can not have caused B

@Petra R wrote:

I don't think Elance knew about Smartener going away prior to June / July (Elance announced that no more tests could be taken via Smartener in July) whereas the decision to not migrate test results was taken almost certainly in 2014.

I doubt Smartener knew it was going to go at that point.

To be the cause of something else an event has to happen BEFORE what it is supposed to cause.... If A happend after B then A can not have caused B

Merging contracts can often take longer than a year to hash out all of the details and for both parties to come to a mutual agreement on certain things. 

That said, whether Elance knew about Smartener's demise prior, or vice versa, we may never know. However, I could see how the test results being displayed on profiles could be affected. Smartener could have had a contract with Elance stating that Elance is the only freelance job platform they are authorized to use. As such, during these negotiaions of the Upwork/Elance merge, and the fact that Upwork already had an established, ongoing contract with their test provider, the services from Smartener were not required in the transition of or following the Upwork/Elance merge. With that said, since the Elance test provider contract was between Elance and Smartener, and Upwork had their own contracted source, those tests on Elance profiles would then, I would assume, become null and void. By Upwork using those test scores on this platform, it could break the current contract between Upwork and its provider.... or Upwork could be faced with legal struggles with Smartener (and/or the company it is merging with) since those test scores (services), I would assume, would be legally protected (think of it as Upwork using services that do not technically belong to them).

In short, I can see why the Elance tests and their results would not be allowed to be displayed on the Upwork profiles during this merge.

@Petra

The test results can be shown in Elance profile in two ways.

1. Dynamic integration - Test results will always lies in Smarterer servers. When someone opens the profile, Elance will send a request to smarterer server, ask for the test results, collect and attach with the freelancer profile

2. Static integration - Upon test finish, Elance will collect the test results, store locally. So whenever profile is seens, it will take the local test results and display in profiles.

In the Dynamic integration, if the smarterer shutdown its service, Elance can't display the test results.

Even in the case of static integration, whether Elance can show that data after the closure of smarterer ( or pass that data to upwork ) is depends on contracts / legalities between Elance and Smarterer.

Thank you, Vadivelan, that was a nice explanation which makes perfect sense to my non-technical mind!

Another possible reason could be the relationships (technical / contractual) between Upwork and their own test provider, which might not have easily have allowed the mass portation of another providers' test results to be integrated it in a system set up for displaying the existing one...

@Petra

Welcome Petra. Yes, thats possibility no.4. Good find !

Thanks for the clarification Vadivelan.

cclapper

When I asked the question awhile back, I was told that the company that administered the tests on Elance was not the same company that administers the tests on Upwork. Since the Elance company is closing down, those tests WOULD NOT be transferred to Upwork and would need to be retaken.

It makes sense, but it stinks that freelancers will have to take tests all over again.

geoff55

Hi All

You can go to the Smarterer website and log in with your Elance login. In your account there is a tab "Notifications & Scorecard". There you can view and change which scores you want to be public and get a link so you and others can view your scores online.

Take a screen shot of that as when Smarterer goes I imagine the online copy will go with it.

Learning Paths