🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Possible scam?
Page options
alex_filart
Community Member

Possible scam?

Hello fellow freelancers,

I hope everyone is doing well and keeping healthy.

I'm relatively new to Upwork and haven't had much success with getting clients. I did, however, run into a client recently where they sent over a questionnaire and then I had to submit the answers back. It took over 30 minutes or so. Once I submitted my answers, the interviewer started asking me for my name, address, email, and phone number. It felt really weird so I decided to opt out of it in the last minute just in case it was a scam. Fast forward today and I get another interview invite using the same attached letter but now with different questions. 

Is this what I should expect from an online interview (norm) or does this strike you as out of the ordinary?

I'd really appreciate some honest feedback.

**Edited for community guidelines**

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Alex F wrote:

Is this what I should expect from an online interview (norm) or does this strike you as out of the ordinary?

Flag the job post as inappropriate. The client is trying to make you violate Upwork's terms of service by asking you to communicate outside the latform before there is a contract, which is forbidden. And then they will try to scam you. (Fake check scam)

You are ONLY allowed to be interviewed on the platform.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "...a client recently where they sent over a questionnaire and then I had to submit the answers back. It took over 30 minutes or so. Once I submitted my answers, the interviewer started asking me for my name, address, email, and phone number."

That is not a job. That is a scheme.

You already know that these "clients" are up to no good. They don't want to hire you to help them and pay you money. Their goal is something else. And it's not going to end up good for you if you get involved.

johnchristopher2
Community Member

Hi Alex,

I think it is normal for clients to have an aptitude test. Try to ask them a bit of information about their company so that you know they are honest.

If I felt uneasy I would not apply for that job. If I'm unsure then

the way that I intend to protect myself is by turning my VPN on and using a browser that doesn't store anything of mine. I had an issue where I had to do a 30 minute iq test and I'm not a hacker but I felt dumber and unsafe after completing it.

I also use two-factor authentication and have different emails for work (enterprise level security providers such as outlook), social (facebook etc), and high risk (random websites, games, etc). Most websites scream Quality so I feel assured that I can enter my work email.

In summary, I honestly believe there definetely are vulnerabilities but that shouldn't stop you from applying to jobs and landing your dream job. Good luck 🙂

John R. C wrote:

I think it is normal for clients to have an aptitude test.

No. It is neither "normal" nor allowed. This is SCREAMING scam. How funny that you get all excited about something most likely harmless, yet fail to recognize and obvious 100% certain scam........

John R. C wrote:

Most websites scream Quality so I feel assured that I can enter my work email.

which is strictly forbidden before a contract is in place and violates Upwork terms of service and gets your profile suspended.

Congratulations!

Thanks for clarifying I guess. I wasn't aware that aptitude tests are not allowed.

You know Petra, I can tell you don't do customer service. Your tone is always way too combative :). Anyway, have a nice weekend. Concerning entering my email, I was speaking in general terms. For example: If I'm going to sign up for a new productivity tool, I will probably use my social email to log in, because I have no idea if their team actually has a security officer.

John R. C wrote:

Thanks for clarifying I guess. I wasn't aware that aptitude tests are not allowed.

Maybe read the terms of service? 

John R. C wrote:

John R. C wrote:

It's not that "aptitude tests" aren't allowed (although it should be obvious enough from your profile overview, portfolio, work history, training etc. whether you're "apt" or not). The problem is that you aren't supposed to give contact details to a client before a contract is in place. And since this particular "test" was asking for things like address, phone number, email etc., it had nothing to do with finding out about the freelancer's skills. 

That makes complete sense thanks. 

There might be a reason for upwork to re-introduce tests on it's platform. I loved that part and miss it. I can easily see how a client needing to hire multiple freelancers with a specific character might want to streamline the process by including some sort of IQ or Behavioural test.

re: "There might be a reason for upwork to re-introduce tests on it's platform. I loved that part and miss it. I can easily see how a client needing to hire multiple freelancers with a specific character might want to streamline the process by including some sort of IQ or Behavioural test."

If a client wants to test me, he can pay me to take tests all day long.

My hourly rate is posted on my profile page.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alex,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this thread for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths