🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Possible scam...
Page options
8fc6b256
Community Member

Possible scam...

Good morning, 

I want to make you all aware of a possible scam, claiming to offer a proofreading/editing job. The interview seemed pretty standard, but things started getting shady during the "onboarding" process, which included a traditional employment application, offer letter, and also required a photocopy of an I.D. The prospective employer also wanted an array of other personal information, but still evaded the 'contract' inquiries. When I said that we would need to create a direct contract through Upwork, I was given every excuse in the book to not create one. I politely declined the contract with the alleged employer and attempted to flag the job posting, but it has since disappeared. If anyone does see this posting please avoid it. 

Please see the included link: **Edited for community guidelines**

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "The interview seemed pretty standard, but things started getting shady during the "onboarding" process, which included a traditional employment application, offer letter, and also required a photocopy of an I.D."

I have completed over 260 jobs on Upwork.

NONE of these things are part of the standard "onboarding" process when one is hired to work through Upwork.

Upwork clients do NOT need a traditional employment application, offer letter, or ID.

Upwork handles such details.

re: "I politely declined the contract with the alleged employer and attempted to flag the job posting, but it has since disappeared"

Thank you for being alert and responsible. Thank you for trying to flag the job posting.
By the time you went to flag it, the job posting had already been taken down by Upwork because other freelancers flagged it before you could.

I hope you understand that NO Upwork clients need to ask you for "an array of personal information."

a_lipsey
Community Member

Jesse K wrote:

Good morning, 

I want to make you all aware of a possible scam, claiming to offer a proofreading/editing job. The interview seemed pretty standard, but things started getting shady during the "onboarding" process, which included a traditional employment application, offer letter, and also required a photocopy of an I.D. The prospective employer also wanted an array of other personal information, but still evaded the 'contract' inquiries. When I said that we would need to create a direct contract through Upwork, I was given every excuse in the book to not create one. I politely declined the contract with the alleged employer and attempted to flag the job posting, but it has since disappeared. If anyone does see this posting please avoid it. 

Please see the included link: **Edited for community guidelines**

Where did the interview take place?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for this report. I checked and confirmed the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members