🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Potential Scam Concern Regarding Client Reque...
Page options
javeriaijaz
Community Member

Potential Scam Concern Regarding Client Request

I am writing to seek guidance and report a potential issue regarding a recent request from a client on Upwork. The client asked me to purchase a subscription from their website to test their service, promising to reimburse the cost through a bonus payment on Upwork. The client paid the amount through a bonus but it's Pending. I feel like it's a scam and asked the client to wait until that bonus is in my account but he is asking me to start the testing and buy the subscription.

This request raises several concerns for me, particularly around the possibility of it being a scam. It also appears to conflict with Upwork’s policies on payment transactions, emphasizing the importance of keeping all payments within the platform to ensure security and transparency.

Here are the details of the interaction:

Could you please advise on the best course of action? I want to ensure that I adhere to Upwork’s guidelines and protect my account from fraudulent activities.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,

Javeria Ijaz

2 REPLIES 2
spectralua
Community Member

You thinking correct. It is scam and rules violation. Report client and wait until banned. Your contract will be canceled, funds refunded to real CC owner.

LuiggiR

Hi Javeria,

Thank you for being cautious and flagging this.  I've forwarded your report to the team and the job has been removed from the platform for violating the Terms of Service. Action has also been taken on the client's account. 

I want to remind you that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. Whenever you encounter these situations, please report them using the available flagging options so the team can investigate further. Please take some time to read through this article for more information on how you can stay safe on Upwork.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members