🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Potential Scam?
Page options
usoutcast21
Community Member

Potential Scam?

I sent a proposal to a candidate for a potential job and they requested that I do an interview chat through Skype. Is this common?

7 REPLIES 7
yitwail
Community Member

If you’re the freelancer and the client who posted the job requested the chat, that’s not uncommon. The reverse would be unusual however.

The above email address is where it came from.

I conducted the interview through Skype and they sent me an email with an
employment letter. They asked for my address, email, name, and phone
number. The letter has my address, name, and phone number on it.

I was accepted for employment. What should I do?

Justin S wrote:

The above email address is where it came from.

I conducted the interview through Skype and they sent me an email with an
employment letter. They asked for my address, email, name, and phone
number. The letter has my address, name, and phone number on it.

I was accepted for employment. What should I do?

An employment letter is meaningless (it just fools people into thinking that a job looks official). It's very simple - f you haven't been sent a job offer through Upwork, then you haven't been hired. And no client needs to know your contact details. What's the job? Is purchasing office equipment involved? Or any mention of buying toys for orphans?

Proof reading. What action should I take?

I would tell the client thanks for their interest in hiring you, and that you'll be happy to get started as soon as they send you an official job offer via Upwork (and verify their payment method, if they haven't done so already).

There's a ton of information available for new freelancers to learn the ropes - I suggest reading it: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/td-p/264214

I did that and I blocked them on skype. Is there any other action I should
take to secure anything?

Why did you block them? That wasn't my advice at all. Some new clients simply don't know how to use Upwork, so all you have to do is tell them. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths