🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Potential Scam
Page options
1be010f9
Community Member

Potential Scam

Hello, 

I am new to the Upwork platform and I believe I am in the middle of a scam. The company has contacted me via Skype (where all communication has been) and they closed the job posting on Upwork. I was told they would load the posting back up when we begin so I can get paid through it. But it obviously sounds fishy, but I cannot figure out how to report them since they closed the posting. They want to send me money to purchase equipment. 

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork ToS prohibits freelancers from talking with prospective clients outside of the Upwork platform until an official Upwork contract is in place.

You are not allowed to communicate with a prospective client (who hasn't hire you yet) via Skype.

re: "They want to send me money to purchase equipment"

Only scammers ask this.

There is no real job. This person is not a client. He is a scammer who is trying to steal money from your bank account.

re: "But it obviously sounds fishy, but I cannot figure out how to report them since they closed the posting."

My advice is to use the "Flag as inappropriate" option on the job posting page to report a client who does this. But in your case, because the job posting is already gone, simply block this person in the Messages tool and move on. I advise you to take no further action.

allpurposewriter
Community Member

If it waddles like a duck, it's probably a duck. In this case, it's not even debatable. It's a duck.

Client asks to communicate via Skype?

Probably a scam.

Client says he will send you money to purchase computer equipment?

Definitely a scam.

[BOTH are violations of Upwork ToS. The first one ("can we talk via Skype") is theoretically an honest mistake and can be rectified if the freelancers says that we need to talk only via Upwork Messages until a contract is in place, and the client complies.]

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Kimberly, here is the best advice you will get: Stop communicating with that "client" and don't submit any other proposals until you have learned the ToS and how to operate safely on the UW platform. Don't worry about trying to report that one, someone else probably did and that's why their job post was taken down. 

That is one of the oldest scams around and one of the easiest to avoid. First of all, it is a violation of UW's ToS to communicate with a prospective client by any means other than UW messaging until after a contract is in place. That policy--which can be a gigantic nuisance to seasoned freelancers and clients using UW--is in place specifically to protect newcomers like you. Comply with it and enjoy that protection.

Second, think about the scam in question. Clients use FLs in order to save money on staffing and overhead and to make their own lives easier. Why would any legitimate client seek out the opportunity to furnish a random stranger with equipment when the platform is teeming with FLs working out of fully equipped home offices? 

UW can be a great place to connect with good clients and earn money. But you can also waste a lot of time and wrong-foot yourself permanently (as far as this platform goes) if you don't invest the time and energy to learn how it works before plunging in. Do some homework, and good luck!

petra_r
Community Member

Kimberly T wrote:

They want to send me money to purchase equipment. 

No, they don't. They want to send you a fake check in  order for you to send them your real money. One of the oldest scams on the Internet.

tlbp
Community Member

Kimberly T wrote:

Hello, 

I am new to the Upwork platform and I believe I am in the middle of a scam. The company has contacted me via Skype (where all communication has been) and they closed the job posting on Upwork. I was told they would load the posting back up when we begin so I can get paid through it. But it obviously sounds fishy, but I cannot figure out how to report them since they closed the posting. They want to send me money to purchase equipment. 

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

If they've closed the posting, it is because they knew they were about to be caught. The same scammer will create a new client account to post the next job--so reporting this one won't stop them. 

As others have pointed out, you should take a moment to familiarize yourself with the rules for using Upwork (read the TOS, but also read the forums to gain clarity) and internet-based scams in general. 

Try doing a search in your browser for "freelance job scams" and read about the strategies scammers use so that you can recognize them quickly. This will help keep you safe and prevent you from wasting your time communicating with tricksters. 

Good luck. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kimberly,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve checked your report and the project has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork and be sure to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature when you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

~ Bojan
Upwork
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Never communicate off of Upwork until a contract is in place. And please read the ToS and abide by it. This will help to protect you and everyone else from falling victim to the many scams that are here.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members