Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential client asking for Drivers License

Highlighted
Candace P Member Since: Apr 24, 2017
1 of 7

Hello,

There is a company called **edited for Community Guidelines** that has requested/messaged the following:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Is this something i should run from ????      Doing a background check, eh, i can understand because it is a bookkeeping position and people want to feel they can trust we dont have fraud charges in the past... HOWEVER, that would be giving my personal information... NOT too comfortable with that prior to knowing THEIR background.

THOUGHT????

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

Did you mean "potential identity thief asking for driver's license"?

Highlighted
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
3 of 7

I simply don't believe it.

If the position is that sensitive, why are they hiring strangers on the Internet?

If they can hire you, they can do without your passport or driver's license.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is very suspicious.

Here's something that you should consider: through Upwork, I have personally been hired by many big companies to work on their database. This includes financial information. Credit card information. Banking information. Medical information. 

I'm inside the core, sensitive center of their operations.

Some of these companies have asked for a Skype or video or phone interview before I was hired.

But never, not once, after over 120 jobs, has anybody asked me for my driver's license or passport.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
4 of 7

Kinda what i was thinking...........   THANK YOU for your reply.   It is soooo frustrating with sooooo many scammers out there !!!    I was just hoping... maybe...  but i knew better!   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 7

I don't know the details of your particular situation.

If you think it is a legitimate offer, schedule the interview.

Most scammers do NOT do live video interviews. That is very rare.

Also, keep in mind that most scammers want to get money from you. Identity thieves are less common.

Will they do an interview via live video with you BEFORE obtaining driver's license?

If I was really interested Immight do an interview and if offered the job, I could explain that they can confirm my identity through Upwork customer support.

You could even tell them that beforehand.

Highlighted
6 of 7

Another great idea by the Guru !    I think i will respond with just that..   requesting an interview first and verifying my identity through Upwork.   See where i get with that!

Thanks again!  Woman Wink

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 7

Hi Candace, 

I've asked the team to review the request of the client. I'll let you know if I hear back from them. But this is an unusual request, and something that we don't recommend meeting.

Preston's suggestion is something you can try, and I can see that you have explained very well to your client that you are more comfortable doing an interview first. It's good that you were able to identify red flags early on in the conversation. You may also want to read up on the safety section of this thread to learn about how you can be safe on the platform. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS