🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Potential client asking for drivers license
Page options
2c314011
Community Member

Potential client asking for drivers license

Hi. I just wanted to see what you guys thought, I have a potential client asking for my drivers license  because they receive a grant from a local film commission. I was just scammed yesterday so I am just extremely cautious now. I'm guessing that I shouldn't but what do you guys think? Thanks for your help!

6 REPLIES 6
martina_plaschka
Community Member

What does your drivers license have to do with a local film commission grant?

prestonhunter
Community Member

It is highly irregular and inappropriate for a client to ask to see a driver's license...

...in most cases.

BUT:
I can totally see why a client would want to see a driver's license if they are asking a freelancer to work on a LOCAL film commission grant.

If the client needs to hire a person from a specific location, then it is reasonable to ask for their driver's license to confirm that the freelancer lives in the right area.

I think that this is NO BIG DEAL.

If you are interested in the work, then scan your driver's license, and then blank out the driver's license number. Blank out the street address as well if you want to. And then just send it.

They'll see your name, and your city, and a photo of you.

So what? They ALREADY can see your name and your city and a photo of you on your Upwork profile.

I remember somone once asked me for a copy of my driver's licence when I was signing an NDA. I did what Preston is suggesting: I blacked out any l personal information beyond my name and location. So I concealed the permit number, my address, and my birthdate. I may have gotten lazy and left my eye color visible, but I didn't think anyone could do anything illegal with that. I think they list your height on most permits as well.

Note: That said, this is the only time anyone has ever asked for one. If anyone did ask me again, I'd ask why it was necessary.   

the-right-writer
Community Member

Can you explain more about the job? I do not understand what your driver's license has to do with a grant. Will you be on the set? Or driving people around the area? Some job that literally requires a driver's license?

financemark
Community Member

Do they need to confirm your residency in a particular state, or in the US?  I have had to confirm this (although by other means) from a number of wary clients who were consistently fooled into believing non-US-based freelancers who falsely claimed to live in the US. 

Kind of creepy though  -- I would have my concerns too.

Question: Did you ask them why they needed it for such a grant?

I don't think it is creepy to be asked to show my driver's license.

Stores ask this when you buy certain things.

If I rent a hotel room I get asked for this. If I rent a care I get asked for this.

If I make a transaction at a bank, I get asked for this.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members