🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Potential clients never hiring
Page options
bailesham
Community Member

Potential clients never hiring

Hi Community,

I've kept this to myself for a few weeks now but enough is enough.

I have spent so much time, money and effort individually writing proposals the last few weeks. I have applied for over 100 jobs since my introduction here on Upwork and i would say i have only been contacted by at most 7% of those jobs. I know this is due to many reasons for example im starting out here and have to build trust, my job success is invisible, and many more. 

A very reoccuring scenario is this:

• Potential Client shows interest in my talent and makes contact.
  • Potential Client asks lots and lots of questions to which i answer because i want to show the client i am qualified for the position.
  • Potential Client wants to set up a video call for more 'information gathering' as they call it.
  • Potential Client waits for days and days and gathers extreme amounts of information from all the small fish like me who are struggling to even get a job on here because up until a few days ago my job success was hidden.
  • Potential client gets back after days and says something has disrupted the development of their job/hire and they wont be continuing.

So once all the information is gathered and the potential client is happy they have everything they need then they back out. Every single bit of info was gathered for free and the time wasted for the potential freelancer will never be compensated or given back.

I also had one potential client who asked me for a specific sample of work to be put together, later realising that he done the same to 15 other freelancers and took all of these 'ideas' and ran to his in house design department with them, knowone was hired and knowone got paid for the sample ideas. I suspect all the freelancers done the same as me as they thought this was a potential job for them. I should have tagged this as suspicious but im still learning the ropes here.

Any advice you guys can offer me against this sort of 'information gathering' for free would be great.

Is there anything in place for REAL clients who have full intentions of hiring? Shouldnt there be a connect style system for REAL clients as there is for REAL freelancers.

I find that there is no equality here on the platform. This platform is extremely advantageous for the potential client and not for the freelancer who is desperately hunting jobs. 

In my opinion something needs to be done about it.

Im considering moving my talent elsewhere.

A very frustrated freelancer with no current jobs.

41 REPLIES 41

Amanda L said:

It's actually pretty easy to avoid the wrong kind of client if you listen to your gut. Any red flag, just say no. 

True. New freelancers will avoid most of the pitfalls if they observe a few rules:

Don't give free "samples".

Don't get in contact with anyone off platform before a contract is placed.

Don't give out private information about yourself, and never pay out money for anything - you're here to make money, not the other way round.

Robert Y wrote:

Amanda L said:

It's actually pretty easy to avoid the wrong kind of client if you listen to your gut. Any red flag, just say no. 

True. New freelancers will avoid most of the pitfalls if they observe a few rules:

Don't give free "samples".

Don't get in contact with anyone off platform before a contract is placed.

Don't give out private information about yourself, and never pay out money for anything - you're here to make money, not the other way round.

Someone should sticky this somewhere. 🙂 

Honestly, I don't mean to be insensitive, but most of the time when freelancers come here about falling for a scam, they simply didn't follow their own common sense because they got greedy. Might be an unpopular opinion, but oh well. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members