🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Potential dispute with a client - need advice
Page options
emilie_nicole
Community Member

Potential dispute with a client - need advice

Hello upwork community,

I joined upwork a few weeks ago and until now I am quite happy with this website:) But today, i need your advice. I feel like I am entering a dispute with a client. I accepted to do a small market research job for a client in a field where I have 20years expertise and seniority. I accepted to do it at a "cheap" price 100$ because I found the topic interesting. I submitted my analysis feeling confident it would help the client. Now the client is only criticizing every detail of what i did, asking me to redo everything, etc... the client has no expertise in the area and completely lack helicopter view. The analysis I did would have cost him 10 times more with a consulting company and once again I am proud of what I did as this is an area I know well. What should I do now? I refused to redo it again as what the client asks makes no sense and I am losing too much time... Any other idea? Thanks in advance for your advice. Emilie

4 REPLIES 4
kinector
Community Member

Emilie, if you're certain that you cannot change this into a positive experience for the client anymore, there's only one thing to do.

Refund and close the project with a short, polite, and professional message.

Your JSS will take a hit but you won't get any bad public review showing on your profile which would be worse.

You'll probably still have a decent JSS and will be able to continue business as usual.

So don't worry about it, keep going. Everyone gets a bad client at some point, it's just a matter of time, really.

BTW, once you get Top Rated (and at your speed I think that will be quite soon!) you will be able to remove one bad review a year.

Mikko R wrote:

BTW, once you get Top Rated (and at your speed I think that will be quite soon!) you will be able to remove one bad review a year.

This is incorrect. The feedback removal perk is available every three months/ten contracts.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Emilie N wrote:

Hello upwork community,

I joined upwork a few weeks ago and until now I am quite happy with this website:) But today, i need your advice. I feel like I am entering a dispute with a client. I accepted to do a small market research job for a client in a field where I have 20years expertise and seniority. I accepted to do it at a "cheap" price 100$ because I found the topic interesting. I submitted my analysis feeling confident it would help the client. Now the client is only criticizing every detail of what i did, asking me to redo everything, etc... the client has no expertise in the area and completely lack helicopter view. The analysis I did would have cost him 10 times more with a consulting company and once again I am proud of what I did as this is an area I know well. What should I do now? I refused to redo it again as what the client asks makes no sense and I am losing too much time... Any other idea? Thanks in advance for your advice. Emilie

Did you try simply telling the client how much revisions would cost?

Thanks for your advice and your answers.

I ended up solving the problem by staying true to my values and principles. I told the client to check my credential outside upwork (I think she did) to prove that I had experise in the area I was working on. The client kind of acknowledge his "bad behavior". The client even ended up giving me a good review (probably because he realized he could use me again for some consulting advice in the future). Now not sure I would work for him again if you know what i mean;)

I still believe upwork is a good platform and as someone replied, meeting one bad client happens once and a while.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members