cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potentially fraudelent job/client/freelancer

Highlighted
Misha K Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
1 of 7

So I've just started my journey here and couple days ago I've applied to this job that required transcribing quite a difficult audio file. I was asked to do a sample of 5 minutes long and send back for a review. A day later I got a reply saying that "i've missed a lot of words" and was returned a ''revisioned file" which really did have a lot of phrases and words missing, but i figured it's better not to argue this time and passed on. Week later I was scrolling through the list of applications that were never replied to by a client, and saw this job again, went it and realized something unethical must have been happening. Let me know your thoughts on this.

1. Client had posted 4 jobs, none complete
  2. Did not have payment method verified
  3. Had a lot of interviews going on at that time
  4. And when I finally figured out all the nuances of Upworks interface and went to look at the profile of a client/person I was communicating with, he turned out to be a freelancer himself with 4.97 feedback score, 88% job success rate.

So now I'm thinking, could it be that he had posted those jobs to help himself do something, and distribute various samples among all other interviewed, eventually collecting a fully transcribed audie file with no efforts from his side? I have reasonable grounds to believe that. Did you guys ever encounter anything like that in your experience here? Thanks.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Collin D Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
2 of 7

Were you paid for your work? Requesting free work of any kind is prohibited on the platform -

https://www.upwork.com/info/terms/client-policies/

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
3 of 7

Hi Collin,

Free sample work/ trial is still a grey area for freelancers. Upwork has a policy against free work or a lottery/ competition however the same may not hold true for trials. I would suggest that you check out this thread for further details:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Customer-Asking-for-Free-Work-or-Test-Work/m-p/98188/hig...

I hope it helps, cheers mate!!!

Highlighted
Misha K Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
4 of 7

Thanks guys for point that out, i did not realize that was the case here. Do you think I should report that job/client?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
5 of 7

My own policy on it is very simple. I have a portfolio, which potential clients can look at for nothing. If they want me to do a trial job they pay. No exceptions.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
6 of 7

Greetings Misha,

From what you have described in your post, the activity of this particular Client does seem fraudulent. However, just a few things that I would like to add:

1. There are a number of entities who work as Freelancers as well as act as Client on Upwork.

2. With regards to Sample/ Trial work, Upwork should introduce a vetting process. The Client should be asked to upload his 'Sample/ Trial' file...the one on which he will judge the applicants. Upwork can then check if the sample is indeed a short one and not a part of the project (or seems like one, atleast). Then Upwork can brand the file as Upwork 'Certified Test/ Trial Sample'. This way the client cannot break up a big projects in parts and modules and get it done for work under the pretense of trials.

Anyone else thinks the same?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 7

Misha, I think the freelancer is farming out work (and from what you say, does not seem to be paying). I wouldn't touch the job.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS