🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Price gouging by UPWORK
Page options
ilannamandel
Community Member

Price gouging by UPWORK

I recently did a tiny piece of work that paid $20. I know it' snot much. But the issue is not the payment, but what Upwork did. They took $12 off the payment for themselves! At first, they said they would only take $4 which is standard. But when I went to redeem the money it was only $10 and they took another $2 for removing my money! This kind of price gouging is why I hate this site sometimes.

This is literally stealing our money.

Ilanna 

4 REPLIES 4
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi ILANNA,

Please note that there are service fees, withdrawing fees for some withdrawal methods and fees for connects purchasing. That amounts will be deducted from the available balance you have on your account.

The $12 you're referring to includes not only the service fee but also withdrawal fee for the payment method you're using and the payment for connects you purchased. Please check this under your Transaction History

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Member

Ilanna, you can feel however you want about the amount Upwork charges, but it's always exactly what they have said it will be.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Ilanna:

You live in Toronto.

Do you have a U.S. bank account?

When a freelancer withdraws money to a U.S. bank account, there are zero payment processing or withdrawal fees, no matter the amount.

tlbp
Community Member

How much do you usually pay for financial transfers outside ACH? 

When I pay my proofreader (who is not on Upwork) via PayPal she has to pay a percentage transaction fee. And, when one of my overseas non-Upwork clients pays me via international bank transfer I incur a $30 fee--regardless of the amount of the payment. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths