cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy Settings

Ace Contributor
Leah M Member Since: May 3, 2015
1 of 4

A few days ago I was posting here regarding a personal issue, and the community guru's answer was that they were not able to assist me since my profile was set to "private" and was unviewable.

In fact, my profile was set to "Only show my profile to Upwork users logged in", which should have posed no problem for anyone here.

Does that option not work properly? Do I have to set my profile to public so anyone on the internet can see it in order to be found by clients?

on a side note, I checked the "email me when someone replies" box here and it didn't work.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 4

Hi Leah,

I will attempt to answer your question. When you set you profile to be shown to Upwork users logged in, clients can find your profile when they search for freelancers. However, when a person navigates to a profile from the Community, it redirects to a visitor (or logged out) view.  I believe that's why your profile couldn't be accessed from the Community. We will evaluate the current behavior and see if it needs to be changed.

I hope this information helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Leah M Member Since: May 3, 2015
3 of 4

Got it.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 4

Got it, maybe, but why, why why??

Valeria says "I will attempt to answer your question. When you set you profile to be shown to Upwork users logged in, clients can find your profile when they search for freelancers. However, when a person navigates to a profile from the Community, it redirects to a visitor (or logged out) view.  I believe that's why your profile couldn't be accessed from the Community. We will evaluate the current behavior and see if it needs to be changed."

It's been known that's the case for some time - but itsn't it patently obvious that it's bizarre and counter-intuitive, and one of the random bits of bad stuff that are left over since the lauch of the new forum.

Why would any user who wants their profile visible to logged-in members on the main site not want it visible to looged-in members in the forum??

Why should a user who doesn't want their profile to be visible to the world at large have to give up on that setting just so that their profile can be visible to forum members??

Can you, Valeria, or any other Upwork person (or indeed anyone) give me an example of where it would be desirable to be visible to only logged in members on the site, but not visible on the forum?

It's so obviously a badly planned or accidental glitch that has remained since the new-bells-and whistles-but-mainly-cacaphonic-and-out-of-tune forum was launched. It's an anomaly that needs to be fixed.

"We will evaluate the current behavior and see if it needs to be changed.""

How can you evaluate behaviour based on something that is forced on people?? How are people affected by this supposed to behave?? Say someone has a problem and brings it to the forum. They need people to look at their profile, so they have no choice but to set their site profile to fully open. So does Upwork then evaluate from that behaviour that they wanted their profile public all along??

**ANALOGY ALERT** Say they built a new bus stop half a mile away from the main residential area and took down the one on the main street. The poor residents had no option but to use the bus, so they all walked half a mile to the new bus stop. The town planning behaviour evaluators say, "See, that was a good idea - they're all walking half a mile to the bus stop, so they must want it like that..."

Please please can someone evaluate it based on logic and common sense rather than forced behaviour, and set it so that anyone who has their site profile set to "Upwork users only" has their profile visible in the forum. Shouldn't take much to do it, really...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS