🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Private Feedback
Page options
glebg
Community Member

Private Feedback

Hello. I know that there were a lot of discussions about Private feedback but want to describe my situation. During last month my JSS fell down from 98% to 79%. And during that period I had 7 fixed price contracts with client A and one fixed price contract with client B and all with 5 stars public feedback. So it looked like client A is not satisfied with something and left me not good private feedbacks. So I asked him is there something that he doesn't like and we can fix it. For this he asked me why I am thinking like this as he always writing 5 stars feedback to me. And then during discussion we found out that he didn't know that "Private feedback" has influence on developers rating and thought that it is something needed only for upwork. So he usually selects something randomly from that 0-10 scale to skip it quicker. Then he wrote to upwork to ask to change it but support said that private feedback can't be changed in any reason.

So I think my situation is not unique and it is not clear for clients that "Private Feedback" scale is important. So maybe upwork should add some well seen note beside private feedback scale to show clients that this is important part as well as public feedback.

13 REPLIES 13
tlsanders
Community Member

I don't have anything helpful to offer you, but for what it's worth I agree with you that it should be more obvious to clients that this rating is also used in assessing freelancer performance.

glebg
Community Member

Thanks)

jmlaidlaw
Community Member

I don't understand why a random choice of a number between 1 and 10 would be "quicker" than simply choosing a consistent number between 1 and 10. In fact, it seems to me that choosing "10" consistently would be quickest and most efficient.

It is quite possible that Client A is unhappy with your work, but doesn't want to tell you so "to your face," and therefore he has simply fed you an anodyne lie in order to make you stop nagging him about his private feedback. Also in order to keep you happy, in case he requires your further services.

glebg
Community Member

Thanks for you reply.

I think that if you are not satisfied with something there are 2 ways:

1. To talk and try change it

2. Stop working together.

And also according to that we finished 8th contract today and plan to start 9th tomorrow - it would be very strange if it were like you say I think.

Hlib H wrote:

Thanks for you reply.

And also according to that we finished 8th contract today and plan to start 9th tomorrow - it would be very strange if it were like you say I think.

I have to agree with Hlib on this one. If the client keeps giving him contracts then he is obviously happy with his work. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Yeah, I think Hlib is right. Because if the client is satisfied with him, that's why they hire him again and again.

Hlib H wrote:

Thanks for you reply.

It would be even stranger if the client were telling the truth about answering a scale question randomly "to skip it quicker."

The tax preparation software threw up a "rate us" screen before it would allow me to get to the final steps for filing my taxes. I clicked on the very low end of the scale mostly out of annoyance. I still would have rated the experience less than a 10, but I might have given it more thought and not chosen a  random low number had they not forced me to provide a rating before I could complete the actual transaction I was interested in completing. 

OP, it is highly unlikely that Upwork will allow your client to change his rating. However, now that your client is aware that this rating matters, he should give you better scores going forward. So at least you have put an end to the downward trend. 

goriyaz
Community Member

I keep going to my bakery on almost a daily basis because it's convenient and easy for me. It takes me about 5 minutes to go there , buy my "baguette" (yes, I'm french, that's not a cliché) and come back home. If you ask me if I would recommand this bakery, I'd say "not really" because their bread is not the best in the city, their pastries are good but not so delicious etc... I don't continue to go there because I'm dumb. It's just that it's easy and the bread is good enough for me. Not awesome, just good and therefore, If i had to rate them in private, I would give'em a 6 or a 7, and in public, I'm just that guy who look satisfied while buying his baguette and who say thank you with a smile. And when I want better quality, then I take more time and I go elsewhere. Anyway, I also think that the weight of "private feedback" is way too important. Good luck mate, you will rise up.

blendq
Community Member

A very good example!
What if one day you go to this bakery and it's closed. The owner has closed it because of your and others private feedback.
If you'd tell him in public maybe he would work on quality that he didn't know he was offering to you.
In my opinion wny should there be a private feedback at all? Just to fill your ego because you're not brave enough to tell him in the face?
Nothing personal, but this is like getting stabbed in the back.
Bon apetit.
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Discussion has been going on for 4 years.
No change yet.
epin
Community Member

I personnaly find this a method that is unethical. Your performance is officially rated 5 star and inofficially rated low. In that case, who shoukd we believe?

In the end, we want to know what tbe customer thinks about delivered performance and that will help us to get better. 

2ce7f2ec
Community Member

Just wanted to Add I have been a victim of this "Private Rate" as well. I completed this one contract and worked more hours and delivered more then what was asked for just to kick start this profile and now I see my profile is 95% God know due to my poor performance (which I highly doubt) or like someone suggested they might have been rating Upwork's service giving them poor rating because it's not clearly stated.

I even talked to the support about it I mean if I am doing something wrong crucify my s I can learn from my mistake and provide better service next time but If my Public rating is 5 Star, My profile should not be hit by a private rating which may or may not be clear to the client if they are rating my service or Upwork's. 

The worst part is, its irreversible even if the client opens a ticket disavowing his rating.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members