Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Private Jobs Publicly Posted & Emailed as Recommended

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
1 of 11

I have started to notice that jobs that are private are showing up in the job feed.  Additionally, I have been emailed some of these as recommend to me.  However, given they are private there is no ability to see and/or respond to them (which of course is the purpose of a private job).  This started happening today.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 11

Upwork in all its sophisticated glory. I have an ongoing ticket that I've just given up on, where I'm not even allowed to see the job page of a job that I'm doing, because I was invited privately by an old client.

The thing is, it took them two weeks and various levels of asking the engineers to work out that the reason is that there is no job page...

As the US folks on here like to say

Go figure...

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 11

Hi Scott,

Could you please send me a private message with a link and a screenshot of such job posting? We will try replicating it and will investigate it further.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 11

@Scott B wrote:

I have started to notice that jobs that are private are showing up in the job feed.  Additionally, I have been emailed some of these as recommend to me.  

Could that be jobs that clients originally posted as publically visible, then set as private after getting a sufficient number of responses?

I do that so I'm not overwhelmed with applicants.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
5 of 11

Unless they turned it private within seconds or possibly a minute after posting the job, I do not believe that is the case here. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
6 of 11
Hi Valeria,

This is a genuine issue. I also have been invited, hired, job closed, review given; and I am still unable to see any bit of the job description page.

All information had to be given by the client through the message system.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 11

Hi Suzanne, Setu and Scott,

Thanks for more information.

I just wanted to clarify as it seems we have two different issues discussed here.

1. When a client sends an offer to a freelancer, he or she has an option to select a job posting related to the offer. It sometimes happens that they select a job posting different from the one they originally invited you to and it can be a private job. So though you are hired for the job, you can't access the job posting. It is a usability issue that I have already discussed with the team and they are planning to make changes soon.

2. Scott and Suzanne brought up that private jobs show up in the Job Feed and Recommendation emails. I am going to forward the example Scott sent me to the team and we'll dig into this further. Please, send links my way if you come across job postings that are private but appear publicly.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 11

@Valeria K wrote:

....When a client sends an offer to a freelancer, he or she has an option to select a job posting related to the offer. It sometimes happens that they select a job posting different from the one they originally invited you to and it can be a private job. So though you are hired for the job, you can't access the job posting. It is a usability issue that I have already discussed with the team and they are planning to make changes soon.

Wait. So I can interview with a client about job A, think we have come to an agreement, and then the client can send me an offer for job B (which may happen to be "private," meaning the contractor can't see it)?

This sounds to me like two evils, with the possible invisibility, though bad enough, being relatively lesser. Which part of this is planned to be changed?

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
9 of 11

This is not a new problem this has been going on even when it was Odesk. My old clients both posted private jobs to me to and had people applying for a private job. It was showing up even though it was suppose to be private.

I have had the same problem Stephen has that my private jobs are not visible to me on the job itself. I am not even showing in their hired list as they were private. It shows on my job page but I am not showing on the job itself.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
10 of 11

It's quite obvious that this issue is a big fail that has arisen and which they are now trying to pass over as "design". Why do I think this??

Because it took two weeks of me forcing open unilaterally "solved" support tickets because the support workers (no harm to them as they can only go on the info they're given) had to run back and forth to the "team" to work out what was happening. It was eventually agreed that it was a problem that needed looking into. Then it turned out that it was like that because it was like that.

So a flaw becomes a design feature if it's flagged, identified, then identified as a flaw but unfixable.

So, either someone designed the feature that if you're offered a private job by a past client, and it's a separate job with its own contract number and contract page, there's no job page, so you can't see anything of the client's past history in the intervening period. Or, somebody forgot to build the job page into that part of the design...

(In other words, they realised it wasn't how it was supposed to be; then after digging further, they realised that they couldn't do anything about it, as some irreversible change has been made.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS