Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Profile Showing Publically/Available/Not Available Buggy

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
1 of 9
I have sent a ticket in and still waiting on a reply. But for the past week I have had a couple weird things going on. I have my profile set generally to Private as I am to busy for more work. Once in a while I will set it to available for less then 10 hours when things are slow with my other clients. But last week I had it set to available and did not receive any invites (which is weird as I usually get a ton of them when I am available) and as soon as I set it to not available I had a bunch of invites. Well something else is happening as well. Setting my profile to Private I am still showing and my settings have reverted back to Public 3 times. I go in and change it and a couple days later it showing Public again. I put myself Private for a reason and I would never set it to Public. I would always set it to Odesk Users Only, so what the heck is going on. I posted because I thought others should be aware and check their settings to make sure their settings are not doing strange things as well.
jeandrewitt
Jean D Member Since: May 9, 2010
2 of 9
Hello Suzanne I set my profile to Not Available until 3rd November and in the last few days I have been inundated with invitations - so I can only presume there is yet another bug. Thanks for the tip about checking for Private or Public - mine appears to be correctly set at Private for the moment but now I'm going to check it every day.
suznee
Community Guru
3 of 9
I am happy it helped someone Jean. Support closed my ticket with no notice and I did get a notification that she had even replied with the comment, It is right now. If you have more problems please notify us. I guess they weren't to concerned with the issue. Mine seems to be behaving again for the moment.
sebdea
Fagaras C Member Since: Jul 27, 2009
4 of 9
Well, I had same issue. When I went in vacation for one week, I received several invitations despite the fact that I set my availability as NOT AVAILABLE until September 17. The support team answered me back saying: By design, freelancers who have set their availability to "Not Available" will still receive invitations for interview or the job from clients. The tag is to inform clients that the freelancer is currently not available to receive any invites and it will be in their discretion to invite the freelancer or not. Well, the thing is simple: when I am not available, let be not available. Or, at least set another status: Vacation. Hopefully, when I'll be in vacation I'll receive no invitations what so ever. In fact, from my point of view, if oDesk will set a third status: Vacation, prospective clients that invite someone will not get upset if the freelancer is not answering back as the status will show: Vacation. When I set my emails to auto respond informing my clients and possible clients that I am in vacation, things were working fine. By the time I come back I was contacted for work. Instead, in this situation, setting myself as NOT AVAILABLE and yet receiving invitations to which I was not able to respond might force some of the clients to think that I do not care about their jobs/offers. Hopefully other freelancers will consider that option and oDesk might implement it. Regards, Sebastian
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 9
Be aware also that if you politely reject an invitation ticking the "unavailable" button, oDesk then goes and automatically sets the availability on your profile to unavailable. So you have to tick "other", then manually write "unavailable for this particular job because of your short timeframe". When will oDesk cop on that they're not very good at making things automatic to benefit people
suznee
Community Guru
6 of 9
Sebastian, Strange, that they told you that you would receive invites if you had "Not Available" on, as I was always told if I was not to make sure I had it set to "Not Available" and "Private" set. Which has always worked in the past. Lately, when I have "Available" set I get no invites, and as soon as I set it to "Private" and "Not Available" I get invites. Go Figure, things are backwards.
anees2003akhter
Anees A Member Since: Feb 7, 2017
7 of 9

Why you did show my profile visibility private.I want to show public.Please do as soon as possible.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 9

@Anees A wrote:

Why you did show my profile visibility private.I want to show public.Please do as soon as possible.

Did you earn any money in the last 30 days?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 9

Hi Anees, 

We have recently rolled out an initiative where users whose account haven't earned in the past 30-days will be changed to private. 

You may log in to your account, and check the options available to you so that you can switch back your account to public. 

~ Avery
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS