🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Private feedback freelancer versus client
Page options
hedy_w
Community Member

Private feedback freelancer versus client

Let me rephrase because my post got taken down last night.  There is a way for clients to leave negative feedback about you with no proof and have it affect your score which is bad enough in itself, but freelancers cannot do it about the client?  The truth is I don't get enough work on here because the type of work I do is becoming more obsolete with technology, so it will probably take me some time for me to get it back up above 90%.  If I were doing something with a high demand, it probably wouldn't be that big a deal. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Member

You can also submit a complaint directly through a Support ticket.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Every time you leave feedback, you leave private and public feedback for the client. 

I do remember filling out that part.  Someone sent me a screen shot of it, but it doesn't look like there is a place to write anything unless it just isn't showing on the screen shot. 

Community Member

Clients don't have a JSS, but they do have averaged star ratings that are visible on their job posts.

hedy_w
Community Member

I saw that but someone was saying something about leaving private feedback about clients for Upwork so that Upwork can know about any complaints about a client.  I don't remember where I saw it. 

Community Member

Nahid answered that on your other post. How do you leave private feedback for a client 

hedy_w
Community Member

I already left public feedback and I don't know how to go back and leave private.  I went to My Jobs and there isn't anything there. 

tlsanders
Community Member

If you left public feedback, you also left private feedback. The question pops up automatically as part of the same process. 

hedy_w
Community Member

I do remember filling out that part.  Someone sent me a screen shot of it, but it doesn't look like there is a place to write anything unless it just isn't showing on the screen shot. 

Community Member

You can also submit a complaint directly through a Support ticket.

hedy_w
Community Member

I'll try that, but when I responded to support I practically wrote War and Peace emails on them so I don't even know if they counted that.  I'll try again. 

Community Member

😂😂Yeah maybe try a lighter touch this time

I believe I was the one who posted that. When payments have been released and the contract has been ended, you have the opportunity to provide feedback, just like the client does. There is public and private feedback for both client and freelancer. The public feedback is the star rating and the comments. The private feedback is the part that affects your JSS. The stars and review are nice, but have nothing to do with the JSS.

When you rate your client, there is public and private feedback. It is best to leave an honest but tactful and polite review, even if there were problems. The private rating is where you have the opportunity to rate them in a way they will never see, just like the freelancer. However, it's not the place to try and get even with a bad client. It should be an honest assessment of the client. If they had some issues, that's one thing. If the client is something out of a horror film, they should be rated as such.

When I left the client a rating, I put the stars and wrote something.  I don't know if you mean the written feedback counts as private, but I don't think I put anything in the private feedback and I was told by support that once you put in the review, you can't change it, but Jonathan said I can complain through a support ticket.  Though I sent support many complaints about them through email and you can see on the message board my interaction with the woman.  I'm sure Upwork must see that.  I don't know what they do with it. 

"When I left the client a rating, I put the stars and wrote something."

Then you left private feedback. No, you can't change your feedback. You can contact support; I'm not sure if they can/will do anything, but you can try. I thought you already had a support ticket?

I can't see your messages, and I don't want to see them. In addition, if you tried to post them, they would be taken down for community guidelines. If you opened a ticket, then that's where you need to do the communication. No one in the forum can help you.

I didn't post the messages.  I had a previous ticket with support, but I didn't know I could make a complaint to them.  I realize I did fill out the private section because someone sent me a screen shot of it, but it doesn't look like there is a part to write anything unless it just doesn't show in the screen shot.  I made complaints to support about different things, but I thought it would be faster to find out about private feedback about clients on here.  Anyway, the questions are getting answered. 

Community Member

It doesn't show in that screenshot. There are conditional fields that are hidden unless their trigger is selected. One trigger is choosing below 8 or 9 (not sure which) when answering how likely you are to refer the client to another friend or colleague.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members