cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Private message advertising Freelancing site

Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
1 of 43

Today I got a Private message advertising another freelancing site. I cannot flag it as it is not related to any job post.

Did anyone else got this? 

I do not want to be contacted about things like this. I got excited thinking I had been shortlisted for an interview!

Community Leader
Julie T Member Since: Sep 29, 2011
2 of 43

Yes, I received one of those as well. I plan to report it to support later today. I really hope the o-desk message system is not going to turn into a spam system. 

Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
3 of 43

Yep, me too - didn't think it was possible to PM someone here unless they are a contractor who has hired/interviewed you...

Ace Contributor
Paul M Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 43

And me.

I'm a "top professional", dontcha know?

Community Guru
Tamaz J Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
5 of 43

Hi,

Just now got this message and rushed here - thought may be someone knew something about..

What the hell is that?

Even without Odesk mailing system I have enought spam getting in my regular mailboxes - now Odesk mailing joining the club... Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Congrats guys...

Thanks

P.S. Say honestly, it was very pleasant hearing that I'm one amongst other top guys... Smiley Very Happy

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 43

Hi All,

Thank you for reporting it. I will escalate it to the appropriate team and they will investigate it further.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Iuliana U Member Since: Jul 30, 2009
7 of 43
I got it too. Was very surprised, since this is the first time something like this happened.
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
8 of 43

ATTN. GARNOR -- oDesk Community Managers: ADDED: No reply publicly or privately as of May 1, 2015 (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada).

I received a similar message via the oDesk core site messaging system with the same subject "Freelancing reimagined - A new way to win more work online!"; except it was from someone named "Belinda" not "Jemma" as shown in the image (since removed by Community Mods I.A.W. Community guidelines) included with the original, oDesk Community post.

Since my oDesk messages are forwarded to my personal email system, I first thought the email was an "official" email from someone that works "officially" for oDesk (either in-house or remote). Seeing the message again in the actual oDesk core site messaging system, I noticed that it was not related to any job posting.

QUESTIONS: Does Belinda, Jemma, or both individuals officially work for oDesk either in-house or remote? Can persons that do officially work for oDesk send members (clients and freelancers) messages via the oDesk core site messaging system without a related job posting? Are the messages in question officially from oDesk?

I have requested on numerous occasions that persons officially working for oDesk, either in-house or remote, be required by an official oDesk "established and documented" internal policy to sign their communications, as a minimum, with their first name, last name, and their oDesk title or position (Also, refrain from including salutations with random, unneeded slogans, tag lines, and other non-standard [unapproved] notations). In other words, use professional style saluatations in officlal oDesk wriitings.

In addition, as a reminder, many Community members have requested that an icon or similar graphic be added to Community members' appearing in the Community in cases where they work in-house or remote officlally for oDesk (this includes "quest" contributors and other non-management roles). Such designations are needed so that members (clients and freelancers) can distinguish various roles e.g., gurus, leaders, etc,) from those that work officlally on behalf of oDesk.

QUESTIONS: Does oDesk trade publicly via a US based stock exchange, or is venture capital acquired thru private investments? In the former case, is oDesk subject to the "Sarbanes Oxley act 2002"? Albeit a grey area, are not the disclosures discussed herein required by the US FTC (similar to requirements for other US owned websites, blogs, etc.)? Has the official oDesk messaging system been SPAMMED? Whether yes or no to the previous question, is oDesk subject to PCI DSS Data Security Standards? Again, whether yes or no, are members' (clients and freelancers) confidential data (credit cards, etc.) stored on the same servers / systems as the oDesk core site and Community?

Please note that in the past, I have tried to obtain answers to many of my questions via non-open channels and my own research to no avail.... Please feel free to answer publicly or privately.

UPDATED May 1, 2015:  As of this date, based on oDesk replies in this thread, oDesk does not yet know the facts surrounding the main topic of this thread; hence no affiliation officially claimed by oDesk. ADDED Question: After further research, I must ask is Elance, oDesk, or both (or its owners, management, etc.) affiliated in any way with the website referenced in the message received via oDesk that this thread is about?

UPDATED May 1, 2015: Although my questions in this post are relevant to the issue(s) brought forward in this thread (e.g., questions involving official information from oDesk (core site and Community roles), disclosures, security, regulatory requirements (governmental, industry, and other requirements), and other pertinent questions), once again I have not received any replies from oDesk whether publicly or privately.

ADDED May 1, 2015: No sense in starting another thread regarding another issue relating to the oDesk messaging system, emails, and other information sent by oDesk: Today, I received a flood of emails from oDesk that were duplicates of emails about payment method conformations and withdrawal confirmations dating back from March 2010 to November 2012. Now, what [who] prompted that activity? Not me....

Being SPAMMED by oDesk? An attempt by a person or persons to flood personal email? Does the site use a firewall and filters to control both incoming and outgoing email and messenging? Site allows open mail relay perhaps? (nah, no one is that careless). Failure to adequately control these things could result in the site being blacklisted!

ADDED May 1, 2015: Regarding this thread and the website in question, although the social media and other Internet marketing methods are gray-hat at best, the site itself seems harmless and is just another of the many start-ups attempting to join those engaged in serving the freelance marketplace. If they have the financial resources needed to succeed, they might eventually become a real player in that market (My estimates: investment of $250+ and 3 years to ROI). Some of the writings on that site appear to have specifically targeted oDesk freelancers -- using examples of negative issues affecting freelancers yet without actually mentioning oDesk.

Anna C Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
9 of 43

I received the message as well - this is the first spam message I've received in a direct message (as opposed to a spam job invitation) and also don't understand how someone with whom I've had no prior contact could this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
10 of 43

This is the second time I've gotten a message from them. The first one came to my personal email (although it's linked to oDesk) but it didn't seem to have a connection to oDesk.

The second one (just arrived today) was "via oDesk".

I'm wondering if someone is posting scam jobs in order to get email addresses. If you apply for the job, won't they have access to your email address? Although I'm not sure how they can send a message that's not connected to a job.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS