Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private message advertising Freelancing site

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
21 of 43

Hi Raluca,

We're working on it. Our team is investigating and will put a stop to it as soon as possible if it's something we can resolve.

Jennifer E Member Since: Feb 21, 2013
22 of 43

I got it too.

Kalam N Member Since: Apr 30, 2015
23 of 43

If the multiple identical emails from non-existing people isn't enough warning, I did a little quick research when I got the first one. What I found doesn't bode well. It may not be conclusive evidence, but it certainly isn't anything reassuring! Then I received 4 more identical emails and, yup, glad I didn't blindly click there!

Here's what I found with just a very quick search:

1) According to scamadvisor.com the site is under 200 days old. The website location is in the US but the owner is using a service to hide their identity. 

2) Trustpilot.com has had three reviews posted in the last 2 days, none of which seem remotely authentic. They pretty much parrot things from the email and each other which tells me that someone is attempting to boost themselves there!

Bottom line? No, thanks. There's a reason I'm paranoid! Smiley Very Happy

I've attached a screencap of the trustpilot "reviews."

I haven't received one for a couple of hours, so hopefully that means that oDesk shut that down? Also hoping that oDesk does something to prevent this from happening again!

Happy freelancing all!

Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
24 of 43

I received a similar message too, this afternoon. I just ignored it, but I really hope this thing gets fixed, since it's pretty annoying and, most of all, disturbing.

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
25 of 43

For what it's worth, I've received it twice from 2 different senders. And maybe a month ago I received an email plugging the same site. 

26 of 43

Wow I am suprised so many people got it!

I am glad I posted this then, I hope something is done about this. 

Thanks everyone, and Thanks Valeria and Garnor for looking into it.

xx

Natalia

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
27 of 43

Has anyone determined (best guess) what if any criteria the senders of those emails / messages might be using to select their target audience? For instance, "Top Rated" only, those in specific job categories only, core site account longevity, and/or other criteria, or just randomly.

Vanya L Member Since: Feb 21, 2015
28 of 43

As a ''Top Rated'' frellancer, i feel a little upset that i didn't get at least one Private message advertising Freelancing site. Of course, its a joke! I am in the Market Research area. Oviously it's a person, who thinks ''out of the box'' Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
29 of 43

Hi Vanya! (Kudos). Is your freelancer profile on the core site set to "private"? Just out of curiosity I'm trying to determine whether the senders targeted an audience based on criteria or just randomly.

Vanya L Member Since: Feb 21, 2015
30 of 43

Ronald T my profile is not set to '' private "!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS