🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Problem Client has Me Fearful of Bad Review
Page options
b82ae60c
Community Member

Problem Client has Me Fearful of Bad Review

I'm currently dealing with an ornery and uncommunicative client who has asked for too many revisions. We have a fixed price contract that is quite low in budget so I don't want to continue working. I have expressed to the client that his lack of communication of what he wants has caused my continued work on his project. I had then stated I will design again, but anything after that I will require more money. He became angry refused to pay more and threatened to take his work elsewhere.
I had then told him that I will design them but if he wishes to go elsewhere he may. He followed up by instructing me to try again.

I'm new to Upwork, this is only my third client. I'm really not sure whether to drop him or try and continue since I've invested my time already. I'm also afraid that if I do complete the project and he gives me a terrible score, (which he most likely will) it will screw me before I've even started.

So yes, any wisdom from any of you veterans would mean a whole lot.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes they can leave a review once the contract is closed and so closing the contract may not be the smartest move just now. Either you'll have to suck this one up finish it and hope for the best or explain you don't think you can complete the task the way they have asked within the original budget and ask them what they want to do.

They may close the contract and leave a review but it sounds like your at risk of that at the moment anyway. 

The fast learn on here is to think of all the things that can possibly go wrong in your area of work and try and pin them down at the start on what you will do for the budget. We all learn the hard way at first but it gets easier.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
2a05aa63
Community Member

You can apologize and say that with all your effort you cannot finish his project. Close the contract, that will refund everything in the escrow to the client and pray they don't leave any feedback. (better refund anything if you've earned from the contract)

Most of the time it's not worth the money. I once took a contract that I thought I'd finish in 2 weeks but I was working on it for 2 months.  I wished I just gave up after 2 weeks.

So a Client can leave a review even if the contract was terminated?

Yes they can leave a review once the contract is closed and so closing the contract may not be the smartest move just now. Either you'll have to suck this one up finish it and hope for the best or explain you don't think you can complete the task the way they have asked within the original budget and ask them what they want to do.

They may close the contract and leave a review but it sounds like your at risk of that at the moment anyway. 

The fast learn on here is to think of all the things that can possibly go wrong in your area of work and try and pin them down at the start on what you will do for the budget. We all learn the hard way at first but it gets easier.

Yeah, I decided I'll suck it up and complete the contract. I'd rather show him something that can  alleviate his anger than just flat out quitting. Thank you guys for your advice.

Jojo F wrote:

Yeah, I decided I'll suck it up and complete the contract. I'd rather show him something that can  alleviate his anger than just flat out quitting. Thank you guys for your advice.

You made a number of tactical mistakes. You should have agreed on number of revisions beforehand. You don't just in the middle of the contract decide to ask for more money. How do you think the client feels now and what kind of feedback he is likely to leave? You should have stayed professional at any time and give it your best since the first clients are the most important. Actually, this applies to all contracts. 

While the client was excessively rude to me before the fact, I do admit that being clear about this would have solved the problem before it started.
A lesson I learned the hard way, You're 100% right and I'll apply this to my future clients.

tlbp
Community Member

Jojo F wrote:

So a Client can leave a review even if the contract was terminated?

The moment you accept an offer, you give the client the right to leave feedback. Nothing will take that right away. You cannot decide halfway through that you don't want to continue working without accepting the consequences. 

This is something not good for freelancers. As at the start client looks very good and I keep working for his projects. Until end he just flattered and with in a 15mins ended the contract. Because I was unavailable to reply just talk 15min before hardly. When open the app. Its says ended contract. While I'm just emailing to him the design. As he wanted. But suddenly ended with 1 baddest review in my whole profile. Please check my profile. You will see 65 5stars with 1 job of his foolish act. 1.star review bad feedback. I am really screaming right now. It's just within 15mins.as I worked with his project for the last 3weeks. After ended I sent him all. What they wanted. Because respect client always.
But it hit me a lot.
Attached screenshots shots just under 15mins. It happen. I As I already sent him design but ask in email. . And just 2min before of this conversation he activated the milestone. His name is  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I have also refunded all amount to him as well. But Ii got 1star very bad review.. I'm crying now..

Arsalan A wrote:
I have also refunded all amount to him as well. But Ii got 1star very bad review.. I'm crying now..

Arsalan, you need to look at all your reviews, especially the ones that are less than 5 stars and pay attention to the feedback. You're at an 80% JSS and it will likely go lower with that 1 star review and the most recent less than 5 star review. 

You need to figure out what you are doing that clients don't like so you can provide better service and get better reviews. The most recent one marked you down for skills, deadlines, and communication. The 1 star client seems unhappy with your communication. You have another that was markd down in skills and quality, and another gave you 1 star for deadines. In fact, more than one client in the past has marked you down for deadlines. 

Overall you need to work better to set and manage client expectations. Are you promising delivery by a certain date then not meeting that deadline? Whatever it is, clients seem to think you aren't making deadlines and not communicating. So you need to look at your processes and what you communicate and how you communicate with clients and work on that. 

ETA: Those screenshots seem to show that the client specifically asked for certain things and that you continued to ignore them. They are not in your favor. He asks for 1 file, and then has to keep asking for it. Your replies are also unprofessional. My guess is this is where your poor reviews are coming from. 

I'd like to thank you for guiding me with such great explanations. I will look into it with skills and deadlines. Actually, I was talking about the Milestones. He just activated 5minutes,. and Expected me to send him files before he had said "Good Night Get some rest" Then Suddenly messages me, As I said before goodnight, For the last 15 mins he decided to end the contract. AS Milestone for that work just activated 5mins before. I need to work on that need to send the files. Anyways. It's exactly what I need to improve. I'll continue to improve and develop my professionalism. Thanks again for the lesson

tlbp
Community Member

Jojo F wrote:

I'm currently dealing with an ornery and uncommunicative client who has asked for too many revisions. We have a fixed price contract that is quite low in budget so I don't want to continue working. I have expressed to the client that his lack of communication of what he wants has caused my continued work on his project. I had then stated I will design again, but anything after that I will require more money. He became angry refused to pay more and threatened to take his work elsewhere.
I had then told him that I will design them but if he wishes to go elsewhere he may. He followed up by instructing me to try again.

I'm new to Upwork, this is only my third client. I'm really not sure whether to drop him or try and continue since I've invested my time already. I'm also afraid that if I do complete the project and he gives me a terrible score, (which he most likely will) it will screw me before I've even started.

So yes, any wisdom from any of you veterans would mean a whole lot.

Never tell a client you don't like them or their communication style while you have an open contract. Exit first, then leave a review. 
Before you start a contract, clarify your terms. If you won't do multiple revisions, then state it at the outset. 

b82ae60c
Community Member

I'd like to thank you and everyone else for the blunt wisdom. It's exactly what I need to improve. I've been able to mediate with the client in the meantime and the job has been completed.

I'll continue to improve and develop my professionalism. Thanks again for the lesson.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members