Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Client

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Stephen M. K Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
11 of 36

Hi Vladimir---

Thank you for responding!  I am going to take your advice and request the client release one milestone for the work I have done.  I will see how she responds.  I will let the group know what happens.

Steve

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
13 of 36

Tonya----Thank you so much for sending that.  To you, Vladimir and everyone:  I followed procedure and sent her a message on Upworks requesting one milestone of payment for work already performed.  I attached my most recent revision of edits (we had been exchanging revisions on gmail).

I added in my message to her that I hoped she thought this was fair.  I will review what you sent me again to see if I have any appeal rights if I don't hear from her.

Well, worst case, this is sure a learning experience!

Thanks to all of you for helping!!                 Steve

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 36

Don't feel bad. Fixed-price contracts are a more complicated contract model. It takes practice and experience to use this model well. It is common to make mistakes when using this model early on.

I may be an old fixed-piece veteran now, but I had a few disastrous experiences early on.

Like you said... You live and learn.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
15 of 36

Thanks Preston.  That's probably the real bottom line here---it is a learning experience.  I WON'T make that mistake again!  I'm still irritated with the client, but will just have to get past it.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
16 of 36

Finally getting back to my problem client from 2 weeks ago, it became clear that she never intended to fund that first payment milestone, and in fact avoided my emails and on Skype.

2 days ago, I sent her a warning email that I would leave her a very negative review which I will do tomorrow.  I'm sure it won't do any good and that she has dropped out of touch---but it will make me feel better.

Ultimately, she was my 'learning experience' on here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
17 of 36

Hi Stephen,

yes, please do leave a respective review for the client as this is one of the very few means that freelancers have to expose unwanted clientele.

A suggestion, if I may - you admittedly walked into a couple of newbie traps with this one. I'd try to write the review in a way that does not leave room for readers to think along the line of no wonder, it's partially his fault, he kind of asked for it, etc Smiley Happy

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
18 of 36

@Sandra T wrote:

Hi Stephen,

yes, please do leave a respective review for the client as this is one of the very few means that freelancers have to expose unwanted clientele.

A suggestion, if I may - you admittedly walked into a couple of newbie traps with this one. I'd try to write the review in a way that does not leave room for readers to think along the line of no wonder, it's partially his fault, he kind of asked for it, etc Smiley Happy

How will this work? Probably the penny she has funded will be auto-released after some time and then Stephen can leave a bad feedback for her?  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
19 of 36

@Margarete,

yes, what's wrong with that?

Highlighted
20 of 36

@Sandra T wrote:

@Margarete,

yes, what's wrong with that?

@Sandra,

Nothing is wrong with that. That is great. I was not sure if the auto-release will work with one penny. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS