Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Client

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Stephen M. K Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
31 of 36

Also, this just showed up on the Transaction History if it provides any clue??

May 27, 2016        Service Fee       Service Fee - Fixed Price - Ref ID ********                                          Personal      $0.00 Pending        ID ********

May 27,2016         Fixed Price        Invoice for Ghost Writer: Milestone 1 - Start, for Stephen M. King    Personal      $0.01 Pending        ID ********

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
32 of 36

@Stephen M. K wrote:

Also, this just showed up on the Transaction History if it provides any clue??

May 27, 2016        Service Fee       Service Fee - Fixed Price - Ref ID ********                                          Personal      $0.00 Pending        ID ********

May 27,2016         Fixed Price        Invoice for Ghost Writer: Milestone 1 - Start, for Stephen M. King    Personal      $0.01 Pending        ID ********

I'm not quite sure what your question is. From what I've read, apparently your client only funded the first milestone for $0.01. This amount has now been released and you will get your penny in ten days or so.

Since the job was ghostwriting, you may want to file a dispute to see if you can get the rest of your money. You could also refund the penny to make sure that the client has no rights to your work. I think (although not sure), if you accept the penny payment, the client can have the rights to the work.

Or you could just chalk it all up to a learning experience and move on. It depends on how motivated you are to resolve the issue.

If it was me, I might forget about the dispute but I would refund the penny and then inform the client that she has no right to use your work because it has not been paid for.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Stephen M. K Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
33 of 36

Thank you David.  Is there a mechanism to refund the penny?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
34 of 36

@David G wrote:

I'm not quite sure what your question is. From what I've read, apparently your client only funded the first milestone for $0.01. This amount has now been released and you will get your penny in ten days or so.

Since the job was ghostwriting, you may want to file a dispute to see if you can get the rest of your money. You could also refund the penny to make sure that the client has no rights to your work. I think (although not sure), if you accept the penny payment, the client can have the rights to the work.

He can not dispute anything. The only disputable amount was what was funded (the penny) and that has been released by Upwork automatically 14 days after the OP clicked on "Submit work and request Payment".

Unfunded amounts can not be disputed. Unless the client decides to play nice he will not be paid. The End.

The Penny will not become available in "10 days or so" - as it says clearly in the left hand column it will be available on the 27th of May - funds released from Escrow become available 5 or 6 days after release, depending on timing.

The exact date when any pending amounts become or have become available are in the left hand column of the transaction history (Click on link or go Reports > More Reports on the right > Transaction History)

Because the full amount has not been paid the client does NOT own the rights to the work, although as it was allegedly for "private use" it will be impossible to prove whether it has been used or not.

Refunding or not refunding will make no difference to anything...

Of course this contract will hit him when he eventually gets a JSS - so it absolutely IS worth reporting the client to Support - as the client may have done this kind of thing before and if a client has a history of bad behaviour they get dealt with and the impact of their contract eventually excluded from freelancers' JSS calculation.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
35 of 36
This widget could not be displayed.

I wonder if the one-cent-payment still can fail?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
36 of 36

@Margarete M wrote:

I wonder if the one-cent-payment still can fail?

No, it can't - It was successfully funded, the payment method is verified (otherwise it could and would not have been released from Escrow) so unless the client files a chargeback it is rather unlikely that it would fail.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS