🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Problem With CLient - Please Help me
Page options
mohsin013
Community Member

Problem With CLient - Please Help me

I am a Financial Analyst and prepare Financial Model and Business Plan. Few months back I got an invitation from a Nutrition Based Company. They asked me if I could prepare a detailed Business Plan. Before the project I asked if they already have prepared the financial model. The had no financial statements so part of job was to prepare financial model and a business plan.

I prepared the financial model and was approved by the client. The client used to reply me after a week whenever I use to ask questions or send file for a review. When I started preparing the business plan the information was not provided. They sent me half of the information and the other half was sent after 20 days.

Later they sent me a draft version of business plan which they prepared themselves. Anways, the owner didn't liked the business plan eventhough I really worked hard with limited information. I have 5 years of experience have prepared more than 50 business plans so far and none of the client ever complained. The client compalined that the business plan was copied from previous version ( I had to copy some parts of it like comapny missions, vision etc)

I sent the last version 30 days back and client liked the business plan and ask for minor changes. I did the changes and sent the final version. After 20 days the client replied that she did not liked the business plan at all. This frustrated me alot since the plan was approved and monior changes were requested.

Finally, I have decided to close the project as I do not have enough energy and time to spend on this project. Kindly advise me should I give full refund of the project or not.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Kindly advise me should I give full refund of the project or not."

Of course you should not give the client a refund.

You did the work. You should be paid for your work.

A client can claim they don't like it. That is fine. Clients are not required to like everything. Maybe the client is lying about not liking it. Maybe the client is telling the truth about not liking it. That changes nothing.

No matter what, you must be polite and professional. But that does not mean you owe the client a refund.

shoaib2210
Community Member

I Agree with Mr. Preston H. I think he answered your concern very well. Just for the peace of mind you can always contact customer support and seek their help.

re: "Just for the peace of mind you can always contact customer supoort and seek their help."

Upwork does not want freelancers to contact Customer Support and ask them this sort of question.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Muhammud M.,

I work in the same specialties you do - business plans and related documents.

If a client is not able or willing to provide you regular feedback as you send them updated drafts, then you are not creating THEIR business plan. For that you need information, and lots of it, from THEM.

I always make it clear in my proposals and in my initial conversations with each client that I will need regular communication and feedback from them.

And I stop working until a client provides the information I've told them require. I encourage them to write as much of the text for the business plan as they wish - some like to do that, some don't.

With so many different expectations and capabilities possible with different clients, I almost never do any of this type of work under fixed price contracts. 

I see no reason you should send a refund to this client, but that's really up to you.

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths