cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in current location

y_zahorchak
Yevgen Z Member Since: Sep 11, 2017
1 of 12

If I go abroad, do i need to update current location in account settings each time?

As following case:

Ukraine -> Czech -> Slovenia -> Ukraine

y_zahorchak
2 of 12

If I go abroad, do i need to update current location in account settings each time?

As following case:

I am a traveller, and a freelancer on this platform.

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
3 of 12

@Yevgen Z wrote:

As following case:

I am a traveller, and a freelancer on this platform.

My reply to your other post related to this question is based on the reply given to me by one of the CS reps before,

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 12

re: "If I go abroad, do i need to update current location in account settings each time?"

No. You are welcome to travel and work on your Upwork projects while travelling.

If you move to another place, you need to update you location settings.

If you travel to another place, you do not.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 12

@Preston H wrote:

re: "If I go abroad, do i need to update current location in account settings each time?"

No. You are welcome to travel and work on your Upwork projects while travelling.

Preston, you need to stop making blanket statements like this because this is NOT necessarily true and this has been pointed out to you over and over again.

The OP, for example, would not have to travel far at all for his account to be immediately and automatically get suspended.

y_zahorchak
6 of 12

Very important point!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 12

Petra:

Based on your post, it is clear that you believe an Upwork account can be suspended if a freelancer uses the account while travelling.

I don't think there is any Upwork procedure that would automatically suspend a freelancer's account because they are travelling.

But I think it would be very beneficial for anybody who plans to travel internationally to know if this is true or not.

If I'm wrong about this, I would like to know. I have no interest whatsoever in posting any misleading information.

I have no doubt that Upwork does NOT want travellers to update their location information while they travel from place to place. This issue has been addressed specifically.

But you're talking about a different matter, which is whether accounts will be automatically suspended for a freelancer who is travelling and using Upwork while not updating their location information.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 12

@Preston H wrote:

Based on your post, it is clear that you believe an Upwork account can be suspended if a freelancer uses the account while travelling.

I don't "believe" and don't twist what I wrote. "Travelling" is obviously not the issue. Where one is travelling to, how long for, with what visa may or may not be an issue.

The OP just needs to cross into nearby Crimea and log in....

You keep telling people that certain things are just fine when this is not necessarily the case and your misinformation has been corrected over and over again. Yet you positively INSIST on repeating it.

@Preston H wrote:

1) I have no interest whatsoever in posting any misleading information.

2) I have no doubt that Upwork does NOT want travellers to update their location information while they travel from place to place. This issue has been addressed specifically..

1) Then please just quite simply desist from doing so.

2) No, they don't. Nobody ever said that they did. But there are numerous situations (such as, for example,  travelling within the USA, especially for longer periods, and travelling to US sanctioned countries) where there can be serious issues.

So the only safe answer is to check with Upwork specifically and the immigration authorities of the countries in question. It also has to be stressed that Upwork may have restrictions beyond those that are to do with the visa.

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
BEST ANSWER
9 of 12

@Yevgen Z wrote:

As following case:

I guess it depends on the type of visa that a freelancer has.  For a temporary visit to relatives or vacations that are associated with a tourist visa, for instance, location details need not be updated.

View solution in original post

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 12

Hi Yevgen,

If you are travelling and will be away from your usual location temporarily,  you don't need to update your location each time you travel to a new place. If you are going to be residing at each location for an extended amount of time, you'll need to update your location accordingly. Also, make sure to check if you have proper visa type or a work permit to be able to work on Upwork while travelling.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS