Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with PayPal withdraw

Highlighted
Stanislav S Member Since: May 18, 2016
1 of 41

Hello,

I've checked recent months messages for answer but didn't find it so asking here.

As agency owner I have PayPal account set up on Upwork to withdraw money, but any time I try to do that it fails.

When I make withdraw to PayPal request Upwork accepts it, but after a minute or less I see PayPal in withdraw methods marked as failed. The funds are subtracted from my account, but within several days they return back along with payment fee.

I'm discussing this issue with support for several month and still no solution there.

I tried to discuss this with PayPal but it eventually meaningless because all they can tell me that they don't see any payments to my account. They are not aware about any specific related to Upwork way of sending money.

PayPal account is working, it is connected to bank account and successfully receives payments from other sources in different currencies.

I also have to mention that on Elance PayPal withdrawals had been working.

Does anybody experienced same issue?

I would appreciate any help from Upwork staff regarding that issue.

Kind regards,

Stan

Pavel M Member Since: May 18, 2016
2 of 41

Hello.
If you are from the Ukraine, we have concluded Upwork money on Paypal is not working.

The working methods of the withdrawal account: Wire Transfer, Payoneer, Skrill

3 of 41

@Mihail M wrote:

Hello.
If you are from the Ukraine, we have concluded Upwork money on Paypal is not working.

The working methods of the withdrawal account: Wire Transfer, Payoneer, Skrill

Did you experience the same behavior like in my case? Or PayPal is just unavailable option for you?

I am from Russia, and what bothers me the most is that migration from Elance to Upwork broke working withdraw method for us. 

Pavel M Member Since: May 18, 2016
4 of 41

I sent you a PM

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 41

Hi Stan,

I'm sorry about the issue you've been having with using PayPal on Upwork. I'll follow up with the team and escalate your open ticket. Please keep checking your ticket for further updates.

6 of 41

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you very much, I am looking forward to any progress on that. However, after your message I got another "check with PayPal" recommendation from support.

I'd like to specifically point out that my PayPal account receives money every month from different sources. It works fine, it was verified by PayPal because it is a business type of account registered for entrepreneur according to all business and banking rules in our country, so there is no more documents or anything else to "check".

It is clear that something is wrong in Upwork-PayPal interaction. I really do think that Upwork IT stuff should investigate this issue, find the reason why the payment is rejected and either provide this reason in details to me to explain, or contact PayPal support that is in charge with payment API related issues and sort this out.

I've been receiving advises to "remove and add again PayPal account, check with PayPal", but did not get any meaningful reason why it will fix anything. And I removed and re-added accounts and contacted PayPal, with no success.

Being software developer myself and understanding how payment gateways work I am sure that when Upwork tries to do payment to PayPal and fails it receives some information about the reasons. This could be analysed and discussed with PayPal support staff OR, in case there is really something wrong with my account - that information should be presented to me.

I see that no one in support had even tried to go a bit deeper in this issue and find real reasons. They just bounce me every time I ask them about failed payment.

7 of 41

Hi Stanislav,

I've escalated your issue yesterday and received confirmation that the past withdrawal attempts were reversed due to not being approved by PayPal. This typically occurs if the account is not verified, which doesn't appear to be the case here, or if the user needs to complete some action with PayPal before they can receive funds on their PayPal account.

You can follow up on your ticket and continue the conversation, but I'd like to ask you to check with PayPal Support if there's anything related to your PayPal account which might be blocking your Upwork withdrawals.

I'm sorry I'm not able to offer a solution at this moment but please do let our team know if you make any progress with reaching out to PayPal.

Dmitry M Member Since: Mar 5, 2016
8 of 41

Stanislav, have you solved this issue? Because I'm facing a similar problem.

9 of 41

Hi Dmitry,

I see your Paypal account wasn't accepted as a payment method. Please contact PayPal to confirm your ability to receive funds, check if there are any restrictions imposed on your account and if you need to take any action. In the meantime, please set up an alternative payment method. 

Isadora L Member Since: Jan 14, 2018
10 of 41

I used to have 2 paypal accounts and the old one which was attached to upwork, I decided to closed the account.  Now when I attached the new and verified account, the old account keeps popping up and would just give me the option ADD THIS ACCOUNT ...I tried clicking on NOT YOUR PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS but all it does is redirect me to the steps on how to add my paypal....the old paypal account had been removed 3 years ago if I remember but it's still showing on my upwork account...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS