🐈 Community

Problem with Proposals

HI

I have been using Upwork for the past week.  I have applied to about eleven different proposals and I have noticed that two have been declined and noted as scams.  I am trying to make progress with this and get something going.

Please Advice.  Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
hodgesh

What is the problem with your proposals?

mtngigi

The category you're in is way over-saturated, and freelancers who do that kind of work do so at a fraction of your hourly rate.

browersr

Without seeing your proposals, no one here can say why someone may interpret them as spammy. Although not spam related, your profile is very bereft of details. While pithy is great, there is such a thing as going too far, especially when you have no client reviews to lend credibility. 

tlbp

Invites at this point in your Upwork career are likely to be scams. And, as you have noted, some of the jobs to which you'll apply may be scams as well. (Those are the ones that are removed and declined on your behalf.)

I recommend that you view some of the profiles of individuals in your niche who have been hired to get a feel for what clients are seeking. Your Upwork profile is your primary advertisement for landing gigs so you need to make good use of it. 

@Jessica D wrote:

HI

I have been using Upwork for the past week.  I have applied to about eleven different proposals and I have noticed that two have been declined and noted as scams.  I am trying to make progress with this and get something going.

Please Advice.  Thank you.

You need to do your homework first. If you had researched your competition, you would have found that a few 100K freelancers, maybe as high as 500K, offer the same skills at 1/10 of your hourly rate, or even below that. Consider this is a global platform. 

At this moment, you will just attract scammers, especially the old check sending scam because you are based in the US. 

If your proposals are flagged as scam, you probably did copy/paste them. You need to be real careful now to not have your profile suspended. 

I suggest you rethink your whole approach, rework your profile and offer skills that are in higher demand, if possible. 

Jobs were scams or your proposals were flagged as scams? 

I have not heard of proposals flagged as scams (or do you mean spam?) so don't reason for that. I guess that these freelancer colleagues with long experience here know more.

BUT. 

Your profile doesn't tell anything. What can you offer to a client? Just "a virtual assistant" is a very broad field and absolutely not a niche. Skills you have listed, are very overpopulated here.

Maybe you could think what else, more specific you can do.

Just as friendly advice.

And unfortunately, I am sure you won't get data entry work with that price. There are a lot of people doing that for 3 $ per hour and they do it well.

I attached this picture to another thread here a few days ago, but I'll do it again.

Just for you to know that competing in the data entry field is hard and with your rate impossible.

When searching for data entry freelancers:

+ 295.000 freelancers

+ 255.000 of them have not made a single dime

Screenshot (4).png

Upcoming Events
Oct 27
Nov 29