cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Upwork currency exchange rates

Highlighted
Sarmad S Member Since: Oct 26, 2017
11 of 21

This is really absurd. Even if the bank charges something, Upwork shouldn't show the wrong exchange rates on their site, they should clearly mention that this is the exchange rate and this is the bank's cut. Showing wrong and inaccurate rate is just beyond me.

I've been trading on some websites like IQ Option, and when I deposit money, there are some cuts, but whenever I get a withdrawal to my account, there's no cut. No problem.

I'm going out of UpWork, I'm already paying 20%, that's not a small percentage and you get this from UpWork in return. Very dissatisified by the responses here as well. Might as well write a bad review or even a post on Medium of this bad experience.

Definitely taking my work out of UpWork.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 21

Sarmad,

Since exchange rates are set by banks and fluctuate a lot, it's not possible to show the real-time conversion rate or the rate that will be applied at the time of the withdrawal. You can check the last exchange rate used by Upwork's banking partner on the manual withdrawal form.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
13 of 21

This is possible to reflect accurate and more importantly correct exchange rates. Plus you're telling me a different reason a different excuse than what others had stated before you.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 21

Sarmad,

I'd like to reiterate that Upwork doesn't set currency conversion rates and is unable to show real-time rate in the withdrawal form. You can find more information about it here.

Additionally, please note that Upwork representatives have green Upwork badges under their posts (you can see one below my post.) As Jennifer pointed out, Petra and herself don't represent Upwork but use Upwork as a client or as a freelancer and their contribution in this Community is voluntary and free of charge.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
15 of 21

Valeria,

Nothing can change my bad experience now. It's not about showing the data realtime or not. It's about correctness, transparency and being upfront. And I found Upwork lacking in those. I've also noticed that Petra has edited her message now but she didn't apologize to me for bringing up something that personal and unrelated to the ongoing debate.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
16 of 21

Hi Sarmad,

To clarify, we edited certain parts of Petra's comments which were in violation of our Community Guidelines.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 21

@Sarmad S wrote:

This is really absurd.

Definitely taking my work out of UpWork.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
18 of 21

Yes lady, that's what I did, but that isn't illegal or immoral is it? But what you guys are doing is definitely that. Shame on you for having the audacity to point that out trying to cover up your scam.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
19 of 21

@Sarmad S wrote:

Yes lady, that's what I did, but that isn't illegal or immoral is it? But what you guys are doing is definitely that. Shame on you for having the audacity to point that out trying to cover up your scam.

Petra doesn't work for Upwork...

And if you think that Upwork are hiding some additional fee that they're not disclosing to you, then you're certainly better going to another platform as you clearly don't trust this billion-dollar US company that's regulated by strict legal requirements...

(I don't work for Upwork either.)

Highlighted
Haider R Member Since: Sep 20, 2017
20 of 21

You are lucky to have other options. Actually, every freelancer is trying the same. It is saddening to see your hard earned money being slashed. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS