🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Problem with a client, need advice.
Page options
theavalonbardot
Community Member

Problem with a client, need advice.

Hello, 

I have a client that I started working with 3 months ago, we've done around 9 succesful milestones now. Since last month around the 7th milestone she started asking me to do extra things (which take a lot of time) and she doesn't want to pay more for my time with the excuse that she wants to do 50 milestones and won't pay the fair rate because of that. She wants to pay me $20 for a 6+ hours of work (per milestone) and I told her I won't do it because I have other clients and projects who pay me fairly and prefer to spend those 6+ hours working on these projects. 

So my quetions are: 

1. What happens if I end the contract with an acitve milestone? 

2. I really don't want to get a bad review because I don't think it's fair so how can I avoid this in this situation? 

3. If I do get a bad review, is there any way I can dispute that or get it erased somehow since it won't be fair to get that? 

Right now I have my Top Rated Plus badge and a 100% Job Succes Score and I intend to keep it that way. 

What can you recommend in my situation? 

Kind regards and thanks for taking time to help me. 

Eduardo. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Eduardo,

The information Jared shared is correct. Also, if you no longer wish to continue working with your client, you may let them know and explain politely the situation. It is always ideal to reach out and explain rather than ending your contract without any explanation. This is one way that you can avoid misunderstandings that would usually lead to negative feedback. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
jared_k
Community Member

1. The money in escrow returns to the client

2.  You can't other than possibly rationally explaining the situation to the client, although emotion often tends to trump logic.

3.  Yes, see: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/219801228-Feedback-Removal

Thanks a lot for your reply! 

JoanneP

Hi Eduardo,

The information Jared shared is correct. Also, if you no longer wish to continue working with your client, you may let them know and explain politely the situation. It is always ideal to reach out and explain rather than ending your contract without any explanation. This is one way that you can avoid misunderstandings that would usually lead to negative feedback. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks a lot for your reply Joanne!

But how does this work if you know the client is going to be mad that you said no?

Crystal E wrote:

But how does this work if you know the client is going to be mad that you said no?

That's where professional interpersnal skills come into play. Getting out without the client getting mad.

Jared K wrote:

3.  Yes, see: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/219801228-Feedback-Removal

The OP is not top rated so this option isn't available to him

I went from top rated to having my account suspended. He used to work for Upwork. I didn't want to do free work, and so quit. I didn't owe him anything when I quit. In fact, he was taking a two week break anyway. After I quit he continued to try to demand I do free work. Besides not being required of me, he could easily do it himself. But all he had to say is that I owe him something. It's not possible to prove that I don't. But he didn't have to show any proof that I owe him anything - just say so. I'm being intimidated and bullied for saying no. Now when I do Upwork chats....they are not saved on the platform. They strangely go missing. Please someone help me.

Hi Crystal,

I checked, and it seems like one of our agents have already shared more information with you about this during your chat earlier. Our team will be updated directly via email. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Nobody shared anything with me. I simply let them know that I'm documenting everything, including the missing chats. I've been told several times that someone would get back to me, and they haven't. Thank you.

tlbp
Community Member

Crystal E wrote:

It's a little like ending a personal relationship. Ideally, you get the contract closed and a review based on your performance on that contract, then let them know that you don't want to work with them anymore. 

crystalev
Community Member

It's too late. Now they have me in dispute, demanding extras. Oh....and he made sure I knew he used to work for Upwork. He said he still has contacts here. 

Hi Crystal!
Well I think you should reach out to Upwork assistance because I don’t think threats are allowed here, maybe take screenshots of the conversation and send them to Upwork Help Center or if you can communicate to customer service and let them know a client is threatening you maybe they can suspend their account.

It was true. My former client used to work for Upwork. I did nothing wrong. But I was still suspended because he claims I owe him something that I do not. I can't prove a negitive. Classic narassistic abuse. 

Crystal E wrote: Oh....and he made sure I knew he used to work for Upwork. He said he still has contacts here. 

You want to report that! It will not do him any favours. I can categorically assure you that a client "having contacts" will have NO influence on the process and you should immediately lodge a formal complaint for that behaviour!

I'm suspended for no reason. t's illogical that I have to prove I do not owe someone something. The burden of proof should be on him to show that I DO owe him. He has shown nothing of the sort. But he used to work for Upwork, and still has contacts. So I feel bullied and intimidated.

Hi Crystal,

I checked, and I can see that one of our agents have already assisted you via chat on this ticket number: 30613330. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them there, and our team will be happy to help you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members