🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Problem with budget and total earnings in a c...
Page options
mariajbalestena
Community Member

Problem with budget and total earnings in a contract

So my problem is this one:  I have a contract with a client with a certain budget distributed in 8 milestones. Everything in the contract is done, I already delivered the work for each milestone and the client has already paid the entirety of the budget, but my total earnings are less than the budget the client assigned for the contract, it's not a large amount of money but it's still money nonetheless. The client doesn't seem to understand the problem as he already paid all the budget, our contract say the exact same thing about that remaining unpaid money. What could be the issue? Do we have to end the contract so that money is released?

4 REPLIES 4
deardipu
Community Member

Maria, 

Your question is a little bit blurry to me. Let me ask you one question: 

Let's your project total budget be B amount assigned by client, Upwork fee X amount, your received amount Y. So you should have been paid Y= B-X.

Do you think that you are going to receive less than Y amount? 

• If not, that is not an issue. 
  • If yes, that may be an issue. 

The thing is, the remaining unpaid money is not related to the Upwork fees.

The budget was, let's say, $400, but all the milestones add up to $380, and the client has paid $400 but in the contract there are those $20 that remain unpaid by Upwork

Maria,

It is clear that you have faced an issue, hope Upwork will inform you about that. 

Hi Maria,

I checked the contract I'm assuming you're referring to, and I think what's confusing you is what's left in the "Budget" field, yes? If that's the case, note that the budget is simply what you and your client initially agreed to would be the estimated cost of the job in question. This is different from Escrow, which is what your client actually has funded to be paid upon a milestone completion.

If you and your client finished working on the project and there's an amount left under "budget", it doesn't mean any money is being held, but just that it was completed below the estimated budget. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths