🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Problem with client | requesting refund |...
Page options
hugocorreia
Community Member

Problem with client | requesting refund | upwork reputation | any advice appreciated

I am whiling to refund the client just so he can't submit a bad review in my profile that could affect my future Work opportunities in Upwork.

I am wondering thought if I submit accept refund to client is he still able to leave a negative review that show in my profile? I hope my question makes sense.

PS: I delivered the exact work that the client requested. It was a guide and delivered it as best as I can however the client is not happy. I offered to continue helping him so he can fix his problem....and he seems very bad behavior and non responsive. I would say that maybe he is highly newbie in relation to my job (SEO) or maybe he is just in bad mood.

Thank you

any advice welcome and appreciated!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am wondering thought if I submit accept refund to client is he still able to leave a negative review that show in my profile?"

The answer is: No.

If you issue a complete refund, it will be impossible for any reference to this job to appear in your Job History. No review for this job will appear on your profile page.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am wondering thought if I submit accept refund to client is he still able to leave a negative review that show in my profile?"

The answer is: No.

If you issue a complete refund, it will be impossible for any reference to this job to appear in your Job History. No review for this job will appear on your profile page.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "however the client is not happy."

You don't know that.

You have no way of knowing if the client is happy or not.

The client may have SAID he was not happy. But you can't read his mind. Maybe he only said that in order to manipulate you into issuing a refund so that he can get the work for free.

Preston H wrote:

re: "however the client is not happy."

The client may have SAID he was not happy. But you can't read his mind. Maybe he only said that in order to manipulate you into issuing a refund so that he can get the work for free.

if the client didnt have 300k+ USD paid in his profile I would speculate about the ethics of this client to be totally honest with you. however in this case that he have so much paid USD  i would say that maybe he is just in bad mood or very very newbie to my professional (SEO).

i imediatly mention to him that i can continue assist him and help him fix his problem but he is not responsive and bad behavior.

thank you for your help tho. I will lose 500$ and 30 hours of my life just so I dont get bad reputation in my 1k+ earnings profile which could affect my future ability of getting new jobs. I wonder if Upwork has some kind of (reputation) protection for freelancers in this kind of situation tho?

anyway thank you a lot for your input appreciate it.

You should be aware that if you refund the job completely, it can still have a negative impact on your JSS. Why don't you negotiate with the client for a partial refund (if you feel like you need to offer a refund at all)? He might still leave you a good (or at least okay) review if you try to reach a compromise. 

Christine A wrote:

You should be aware that if you refund the job completely, it can still have a negative impact on your JSS. Why don't you negotiate with the client for a partial refund (if you feel like you need to offer a refund at all)?

I dont feel I need to provide a refund I just dont want to get bad reputation. Also I dont care about my JSS to be honest. The reason is that it will never be 100% so its fine to me. I pay for credits (no problem) and I submit my proposals to get the clients I want. However, a negative review and feedback rating showing in my profile could turn off any potential client that read my proposal and is interested in work but then visit my profile and see negative reviews this I dont really want at all. 

I undersatnd that in the future working with 100+ clients some negative reviews and unhappy clients will naturaly occur however at this stage 1k+ earnings rank this is enough for me to delay my growth here in Upwork since my plan is to achieve 10k+ so i can find high paying clients.

anyway thank you for your input. appreciate it.

Hugo C wrote:

I dont care about my JSS to be honest. The reason is that it will never be 100% so its fine to me. I pay for credits (no problem) and I submit my proposals to get the clients I want. However, a negative review and feedback rating showing in my profile could turn off any potential client that read my proposal and is interested in work but then visit my profile and see negative reviews this I dont really want at all. 

Well, you should give some thought to your JSS, because - once you get one - if it's a low score then it will affect your ability to gain new clients. Also, if you can maintain a JSS above 90% and become top-rated, one of the perks is that you'd have the ability to remove the occasional bad feedback review.

Christine A wrote:

Hugo C wrote:

I dont care about my JSS to be honest. The reason is that it will never be 100% so its fine to me. I pay for credits (no problem) and I submit my proposals to get the clients I want. However, a negative review and feedback rating showing in my profile could turn off any potential client that read my proposal and is interested in work but then visit my profile and see negative reviews this I dont really want at all. 

Well, you should give some thought to your JSS, because - once you get one - if it's a low score then it will affect your ability to gain new clients. Also, if you can maintain a JSS above 90% and become top-rated, one of the perks is that you'd have the ability to remove the occasional bad feedback review.

wow i didnt know about that ability to remove. thank you.

yes i underatnd that JSS is important but what i mean is that it doesnt matter much because I provide value jobs to my clients so the JSS will never be low. however a negative review showing in my profile in the other hand could be very bad to me at this stage

thank you !

Hugo C wrote:

yes i underatnd that JSS is important but what i mean is that it doesnt matter much because I provide value jobs to my clients so the JSS will never be low.!

What you're missing is that when you get your first JSS, if it low enough, the algorithm pushes you down in searches and lists you below those with a higher JSS in proposals. It's not just a number. Also, all your previous contracts except for the one from this year no longer count. So if you get a JSS after another 2 contracts it could hover around the 75% rate...

Fixed rate or hourly?

What Preston "forgot" to tell you is that the client can still leave private feedback even if you fully refund, and that private feedback is what affects the JSS. 

Petra R wrote:

Fixed rate or hourly?

What Preston "forgot" to tell you is that the client can still leave private feedback even if you fully refund, and that private feedback is what affects the JSS. 

fixed rate Petra.

thank you

PS: preston didnt forgot at all. since i didnt even mention about it in OP. i only mention about the feedback rating and comment. but thank you for warning to me about it.

Hugo C wrote:

fixed rate Petra.

thank you

In that case the client has already ended the contract and left feedback, so the damage to the JSS is done anyway.

Hugo C wrote:

Also I dont care about my JSS to be honest. The reason is that it will never be 100% so its fine to me. .

You want to start caring about it because Upwork today is nothing like the Upwork you left behind in 2013.  Best bet now is to get as many contracts in the next 2 weeks as you can to dilute the damage, and also to push the poor outcome down the page. I would not refund just like that either though!.

Petra R wrote:

Hugo C wrote:

fixed rate Petra.

thank you

In that case the client has already ended the contract and left feedback, so the damage to the JSS is done anyway.

Hugo C wrote:

Also I dont care about my JSS to be honest. The reason is that it will never be 100% so its fine to me. .

You want to start caring about it because Upwork today is nothing like the Upwork you left behind in 2013.  Best bet now is to get as many contracts in the next 2 weeks as you can to dilute the damage, and also to push the poor outcome down the page. I would not refund just like that either though!.

If I dont accept the refund from client , upwork review my problem and I get my money , the client will be able to leave a negative review that show in my page is that correct? or if I win the dispute he wont be able to leave negative?

Hugo C wrote:

If I dont accept the refund from client , upwork review my problem and I get my money , the client will be able to leave a negative review that show in my page is that correct? or if I win the dispute he wont be able to leave negative?

Feedback has already been left when the client closed the contract. That ship has sailed. The question now is whether it will show on your profile or not.

Also, Upwork dont decide the outcome of the dispute, they only mediate. If that mediation fails, the next step would be arbitration (at $ 291 each if it actually goes ahead, but if the client chickens out at that point, you get the escrow funds and the arbitration money back). I understand your relanctance to have poor feedback show, but tha's a lot of money...

Petra R wrote:

Hugo C wrote:

Feedback has already been left when the client closed the contract. That ship has sailed. The question now is whether it will show on your profile or not.

Also, Upwork dont decide the outcome of the dispute, they only mediate. If that mediation fails, the next step would be arbitration (at $ 291 each if it actually goes ahead, but if the client chickens out at that point, you get the escrow funds and the arbitration money back). I understand your relanctance to have poor feedback show, but tha's a lot of money...

thank you petra i truly apprecaite your help.

can i still talk to client and try to fix this or the negative feedback (no matter what) will be shown in my profile?

yea i know its a lot of money but i am here in Upwork with the goal to provide a good service to everyone. and this negative feedback will impact and delay my ability to get new jobs for sure.

i care about my long term goals more than these $500 and 30+ hours.

thank you for the explanation in the "mediation" thing. this client is very suspicious (his behavior is questionable ) actualy but i wont speculate on that cause thats not my job...

anyway thank you for your help have a great day

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths