🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Problem with clients
Page options
a_elassimi
Community Member

Problem with clients

Hello, I am really happy to work with Upwork! I have never imagined someone will hire me since I have no experience.. but because of Upwork, I am a beginner, but still, there is clients who hired me and I finally start working and gaining experience! And I am so happy to work with them! But there is clients who ask for taking the job outside the platform, one is rude to me when i didn't agree to work with him on skype! And another one isn't happy after a month because I didn't finish the work, without hiring me or asking me! I don't know what should I do! Is it really my fault with these clients that I am not professional as one said? Please tell me what to do.
Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
jmlaidlaw
Community Member

Assma --

A beginner can be a professional. If you are smart enough and have enough integrity to insist on following the rules of the platform (the rules you agreed to when you signed up, and the rules that will PROTECT YOU AND YOUR EARNINGS), that is one criterion of professionalism.

If some twit of a client wants to berate you when you resist rule-breaking, then it is THAT CLIENT who is unprofessional and rude, and who is most likely intending to take advantage of you.

You ask what to do:  Resist the rude and bullying clients. Do what is right. Stick to the Terms of Service. Come to the Forums for advice (as you are doing) -- advice and answers from fellow Freelancers and from Moderators, all of whom will generally have your best interests at heart.

Keep working, and BEST WISHES for continued success.

browersr
Community Member

Honestly freelancing isn't really for people with no experience. Not that it's impossible but expect a lot more scamming and other related issues as people take advantage of your desire to gain any experience and likely very low rate.

If someone asks you to take a job outside of UW, you need to report them to UW. This is a violation of the terms of service and also probably a means to scam you further.

No one should be rude, but there might be legitimate reasons for the need to work on Skype. If you aren't able to do this, you should not take the job.

NEVER do any work without a contract in place. Sounds like you were scammed into starting a job that was never an official job. Do not make that mistake again.

Your inexperience is certainly causing you these issues even if there is no excuse for people to cheat, lie, etc. Yet we live and work in the real world and you need to do a much better job educating yourself on how the platform works and don't be so eager to get experience that you compromise yourself as you have done in the situations you described.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "it really my fault with these clients that I am not professional as one said?"

These are not clients. They are just scammers. Who cares what they think? Ignore them. Block them.

But be polite and act professionally toward EVERYBODY on Upwork.

jr-translation
Community Member

Assma E wrote:
Hello, I am really happy to work with Upwork! I have never imagined someone will hire me since I have no experience.. but because of Upwork, I am a beginner, but still, there is clients who hired me and I finally start working and gaining experience! And I am so happy to work with them! But there is clients who ask for taking the job outside the platform, one is rude to me when i didn't agree to work with him on skype! And another one isn't happy after a month because I didn't finish the work, without hiring me or asking me! I don't know what should I do! Is it really my fault with these clients that I am not professional as one said? Please tell me what to do.
Thank you.

It is ok to communicate on Skype, just make sure everything you agree on is part of the contact and written down there.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths