🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Problem with feedback from a client.
Page options
djames1958
Community Member

Problem with feedback from a client.

Hello, I'm lookinfg for help with improper poor feedback - I received a 1-star rating - even though I'm consistently a 5-star freelancer.

Here's the situation:  The task was to paraphrase a paper that he was to submit for entrance into a PhD program, as I understand it. 

He is not a native English speaker and the paper was in horrible shape in terms of grammar and syntax. However, that was not the main problem. He had directly copied material from professional journals and wanted it reworded to appear that he had written it.

As a professor, I tried to help him and explain to him that unless we dramatically reworded it (which I did), then he would be guilty of plagiarism. He did not understand the problem even though I worked very hard to help him understand and with the paper.

In addition, he wanted me to completely write a paper for him that he would submit as his own.

So, I gave him a 5-star product and 5-star service - and yet, because there was a conflict, he trashed me with this rating in order to hurt me on Upwork.

Is there anything that can be done to remove this job or feedback from my history?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tareqtariqul
Community Member

Contact Upwork help center. If you are a top-rated freelancer then you can remove a feedback under certain conditions.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
tareqtariqul
Community Member

Contact Upwork help center. If you are a top-rated freelancer then you can remove a feedback under certain conditions.

Thanks, I have looked under the Help section but couldn't find the answer. Could you please be more specific as to where to look?

Thanks, again,

In almost all cases feedback can not be disputed.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

If you are a Top Rated freelancer and haven't used your feedback removal perk in the last three months or ten contracts, then you can have the feedback removed. Otherwise, you're stuck with it. I can't see your profile, so can't opine about how the poor feedback might affect your JSS.

Also, I have to say I'm surprised that as a professor, you felt comfortable "dramatically rewording" material in order to disguise the client's plagiarism. The fact that he doesn't comprehend the problem doesn't remove the transgression.

I didn't fully explain the hours of interaction with him.

I was not trying to help him to do something unethical. I was trying to help him as a non-native English speaker to rework the paper so that it wasn't plagiarism, but would reflect his own work and that he would include quotations where appropriate. He had done extensive referencing of the journals that he was citing. That was not the problem. This is an international problem - and I work internatoinally, so I understand the problem.

I wasn't trying to help him cheat. I was trying to help him not to cheat I refused to write a paper for him.

I have the highest level of ethics and integrity,

By the way, he just changed it to 5 stars - and apologized as I'm writing.

David J wrote:

I didn't fully explain the hours of interaction with him.

I was not trying to help him to do something unethical. I was trying to help him as a non-native English speaker to rework the paper so that it wasn't plagiarism, but would reflect his own work and that he would include quotations where appropriate. He had done extensive referencing of the journals that he was citing. That was not the problem. This is an international problem - and I work internatoinally, so I understand the problem.

I wasn't trying to help him cheat. I was trying to help him not to cheat I refused to write a paper for him.

I have the highest level of ethics and integrity,

Glad to hear all of that, including that he reconsidered. I apologize for casting unwarranted aspersions.

I get regular invitations to projects that obviously involve academic fraud and I'm not convinced that UW does all it could be doing to detect and remove the opportunities. I attended a small university -- back when we had to shoo dinosaurs off the quad -- that ran completely on an honor pledge. We wrote it by hand and signed it at the bottom of every paper, every exam booklet, everything we submitted for a grade or for credit. We all took it seriously. I have a hair-trigger about it now.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Are you really surprised that a client who cheats without seeing the problem turns out to be unpleasant?

David J wrote:

Clients also give private feedback, which cannot be changed, so you may want to see what happens at the next JSS update and use your perk.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths